• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lunar Eclipse March 3/4 2007

Are the images in different sized crops, or were they taken through different focal length eyepieces?

With a compact digital camera, would I be correct in thinking that you have no way of accurately focusing for the camera? Just focus the eyepiece to your eye and hope that it is reasonable good for the camera.

What scope and eyepiece(s) did you use?

I used my 127mm Mak and a Skywatcher 25mm Plossl. These days I still use the Mak but a Nikon DSLR instead. I find my Moonfish Group 15mm and 20mm eyepieces are better for afocal projection but didn't have them then.

I haven't tried to reprocess them recently. I used to reprocess a lot of old shots at one time but life's too short and I reckon I only have about 15 years left.

1 hour ago, Sunny Phil said:

I used my 127mm Mak and a Skywatcher 25mm Plossl. These days I still use the Mak but a Nikon DSLR instead. I find my Moonfish Group 15mm and 20mm eyepieces are better for afocal projection but didn't have them then.

The Moonfish eyepieces have very generous eye relief even in the shorter focal lengths, so that should make them easier to use for afocal.

1 hour ago, Sunny Phil said:

I haven't tried to reprocess them recently. I used to reprocess a lot of old shots at one time but life's too short and I reckon I only have about 15 years left.

Keep reprocessing that brain Phil, then in 15 years time you'll have a good 15 years left. :2thumbsup:

Interesting set of images Phil. 

Be good to see how they compare to the next one done with your newer kit.