• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Two hours on Sirius and his Pup.

Doc

Placed my scope out on the patio at about tea time so it had time to cool down then went inside to make dinner. The idea was to go out after dinner but my dad turned up and his not been very well lately so I spent two hours listening to his ills and woes. By the time he went it was nearly 21.00 and I had to push myself to go out.

Looked at all the normal targets you do and while doing this I noticed that the skies were pretty good and seemed darker then normal.

Decided to look ar Rigel and noticed I could split this very easy. My 6mm Delos showed a very clean break at X140. The seperation is about 9.5" and the colours I noticed were a very muted blue and white.

Having split Rigel I went over to Sirius, I have tried numerous times to split the pup from his parent but I had to try again. Tried the 6mm first and after about 10 minutes decided the magnification was to low. I inserted the 4.5mm Delos which gives X186 and once again except for a very faint maybe I decided to low magnification, so I inseted the 3.5mm Delos that gives X240 magnification. At this mag Sirius only takes about 30 seconds to sweep the FOV but with perserverance and about 30 sweeps of the field of view something appeared to the left of Sirius in about the 10 o'clock position. It was just outside the glare and just above the line the AMICI Prism makes while observing brighter objects. The view didn't last long, it was only a few seconds and then I lost it. I tried and tried to find it again, even changed to the older diagonal which in fact I conclude is worse then the new Badder Amici.

I decided to drape a towel over my head at this stage and went through the whole procedure again, and after another 30 sweeps I did glimpse it again but very faint. But there was definitely a pinpoint of light just outside the glare of Sirius. 

This is one tough cookie to see. I can see that my scope is excellent but not the correct scope to split the Pup as the focal length is too small, it needs to be longer to achieve more magnification.

So in the end I spent nearly two hours on Sirius and his Pup. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun.

It's very unusual of me to spend most of the night on one target but it was worth it.

Good night for you .

There is a report on SGL of the pup last night.

I was going to put the C11 out but our real live pup was being a swine so I did not get round to it.

I lined my 20 x 80 bins up on Sirius and de-focused a little to let Lynne see the colour changes, well worth the effort.

I have never tried to see the pup but it sounds a difficult thing to do!!

Ron

An inspiring read, as usual! ?

i tried and failed just over a year ago with the lx200, but only spent half an hour or so on it!

so now it’s back on the ever growing list!  :)

Myself and Steve eventually managed to bag this last night at work in the 16". It's not an easy spot, that's for sure! Well done Mick :thumbsup:

the issue with the 16" is Sirius is so damned bright! Had to let it drift just off the edge of the fov. Got it at 225 X mag.