• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Really annoyed, windows 7 password

tbird

I use my daughters laptop when I do any webcam imaging. With the weather being the way it has I've not had a chance to try the new MAK with the webcam until tonight.

The scope is all set up, went to use the laptop and my daughter had decided to change the password which is now not letting us in :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Neither the old password nor the new one is working. Suffice to say I'm not happy.

I know the feeling, seems strange that niether password will work. I know it is obvious and you have probably tried but cap lock on or off may work?

I've tried all sorts of combinations of caps on/off, miss-spellings etc. The password reset doesn't help, keeps asking for a disk which I don't seem to have.

Can you not get in at all?

Is there no other user accounts on the laptop / pc?

Is there any way on Windows 7 to log in as a basic account?

If you can get to a DOS prompt I can help.

There are 3rd party tools for password recovery, however you should read the relevant Microsoft moderated forums to choose a reputable program. Most involved creating a bootable recovery disk.

I can't remember the exact method, but it's something along the lines of, put in the windows disc, do a "repair" and at the end you should be able to open command prompt, once you open that try typing "net user administrator /active:yes" and then you should be able to see the admin login at startup.

If it doesn't let you do that. You'll have to navigate to notepad in something like C:Windowssystem32notepad.exe by typing(presuming your hard drive letter is C) "cd C:Windowssystem32" and then type "notepad.exe" and it will open notepad, then navigate to the same folder in notepad with open file and find "Narrator.exe" and rename that to "NarratorBackup.exe" and then make a copy of "cmd.exe" and call it "Narrator.exe" and then on the log in screen click the ease of access bottom left and then Narrator and it should open up command prompt and then try the command "net user administrator /active:yes"again and it should work that time, if it doesn't, not sure what to suggest other than a reinstall

Edit: Spoke to my friend and he said to use "net user /add test" instead of the net user admin active one in the 2nd part.

Note: Anything that goes wrong isn't my fault :)

Edited by Eddy

I can't remember the exact method, but it's something along the lines of, put in the windows disc, do a "repair" and at the end you should be able to open command prompt, once you open that try typing "net user administrator /active:yes" and then you should be able to see the admin login at startup.

If it doesn't let you do that. You'll have to navigate to notepad in something like C:Windowssystem32notepad.exe by typing(presuming your hard drive letter is C) "cd C:Windowssystem32" and then type "notepad.exe" and it will open notepad, then navigate to the same folder in notepad with open file and find "Narrator.exe" and rename that to "NarratorBackup.exe" and then make a copy of "cmd.exe" and call it "Narrator.exe" and then on the log in screen click the ease of access bottom left and then Narrator and it should open up command prompt and then try the command "net user administrator /active:yes"again and it should work that time, if it doesn't, not sure what to suggest other than a reinstall

Edit: Spoke to my friend and he said to use "net user /add test" instead of the net user admin active one in the 2nd part.

Note: Anything that goes wrong isn't my fault :)

That was going to be my suggestion.

If you can at least get to a dos prompt then you can reset any password on any account created on the laptop/pc.

Not used Windows 7 yet so not 100% sure of it's features.

Edited by Daz type-r

Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried reloading the OS from the back up disk but after loading all the disks a message said the restore had failed.

Intterupting windows startup and choosing DOS prompt still prompts for the password.

The desktop is still on Vista so I can't use it to create a boot disk.

What a pain in the backside :angry:

That is annoying.

I think your only option now is a full re-install of windows.

:(

Don't believe it, DVD/cd-rom driver won't load on the desktop now. I hate computers.

Stick with visual and the big dob Paul, you always know where you are with a dob. :)

I have a 4lb blacksmiths hammer, if you want to reprogram it!

It's frustrating when stuff doesn't do what it should.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Fixed now, thanks all

Downloaded some tools off internet and I'm in :)

Only thing is the dogs gone lame now, so now have to be a vet and see what's up with his back foot.

Edited by tbird

Out of interest, which tool did you use?

Sorry to hear about pooch, hope he gets better soon.

I downloaded Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, I thought it might be more useful than the programs that just deleted or changed the password. The DVD/cd burner program was a bit of pain, it did work but clashed with microsoft works somehow, kept trying to initialise works as the program loaded.

For some reason though the password reset disk program won't recognise the dvd drive.