• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What's the difference?

Tweedledee

Can someone please explain the difference between the Altair Astro Hypercam 183c and the QHY183c.

I may be wrong but I think it may be something to do with a 128mb ddr memory that seems to only come with the QHY, but I'm a bit confused by such electric things. :unsure:

Pete - what are you doing posting in here?    :frantic:

Looking at magic box of tricks - what is the world coming too, Pete is going to the dark side.

:o

2 hours ago, Daz Type-R said:

Pete is going to the dark side. :o

No, I just see it as a logical extension to my eyepiece collection. :blink:

Want to have a go at EAA live viewing, and these new sensors look like just the job at 20 megapixels. :)

The QHY camera has thermo-electric cooling which will (they claim) take it down to -45°C.  The Altair version has a built-in fan and a large heatsink.  Mine only drops the temperature about 8°C below ambient rather than freezing its innards.

Edited by bryand

8 hours ago, bryand said:

The QHY camera has thermo-electric cooling which will (they claim) take it down to -45°C.  The Altair version has a built-in fan and a large heatsink.  Mine only drops the temperature about 8°C below ambient rather than freezing its innards.

Thanks Bryan. So which camera do you have? Are you happy with the it? Do you have any images to show?

On 2/20/2018 at 07:26, Tweedledee said:

Thanks Bryan. So which camera do you have? Are you happy with the it? Do you have any images to show?

I've got the Altair version, and I'm very happy with it in the limited time I've had it.  The Altair Capture software  does most of the things SharpCap does, and I find it easier to use.

Not had spectacular success yet, but these two shots show the pixel noise (coloured dots) and their removal using dark frames.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/cobrd/FlameNeb_Darks_33%20frames_1342sec.png
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g280/cobrd/FlameNeb_with_noise.png

Edited by bryand
changed links

Sorry Bryan, but with those links i'm just getting an error message (page does not exist)

I do seem to have trouble with Photobucket though.....Maybe its a Mac issue ?

Cheers Bryan.

Could you try posting those links again. I get an error - "Sorry, the requested page does not exist."

Cheers Bryan.

What info do you have on exposure time, stacks, etc? I presume they were taken using your 102.

33 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Cheers Bryan.

What info do you have on exposure time, stacks, etc? I presume they were taken using your 102.

Here's the log file from Sharpcap:

[ALTAIRH183C]
Output Format=PNG files (*.png)
Capture Area=5440x3648
Binning=1x1
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Colour Space=RGB24
Fan=Off
Temperature=5.5
Black Level=3
Flip=Vert
USB Speed=2
Auto Exp Target=120
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Analogue Gain=4762
Exposure=40681.797
Timestamp Frames=Off
Hue=0
Saturation=128
Contrast=0
Brightness=0
Gamma=100
Extra Controls=Off (Faster)
Negative=Off
Colour Tint=1000
Colour Temp=6503
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\SharpCap Captures\darks\ALTAIRH183C\RGB24@5440x3648\40.7s\gain_4762\dark_6_frames_2018-01-20T20_27_08.png
Display Brightness=1
Display Contrast=1
Display Gamma=1
TimeStamp=2018-01-20T20:51:56.2757300Z
TotalExposure(s)=1342.499301
StackedFrames=33

They were taken with the 9.25 SCT - the 102 is still awaiting decent weather.

B.

I finally got to play with the 183C and the 102 frac:

No prizes for guessing what this is.

126 frames each of 8 seconds (Sharpcap gain of 422) 1008 sec total

15 darks with a temp of 1.3°C

2x2 binning producing a 2736 x 1824 image of which this is a small part.

Explore Scientific ED 102 on a Celestron Evolution mount  (I really couldn't be arsed to set up my equatorial mount)

Stack_126frames_1008s.png