• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Accessory for the eyepiece

Tweedledee

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Now that is truly a monster of a set up.

Will you be bringing it to Kelling. 

The 6" frac is quite big, but it looks a bit smaller with the 3" eyepiece in it.

I won't be at Kelling, but if I was going I'd want to take the 6" frac and the dob.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Cracking job. How does the mount take the extra weight Pete?

The mount seems rock solid and is a pleasure to use Mick. It just needs the OTA repositioning on the dovetail when changing eyepieces from the 2.4kg 3" because my other, relatively big, eyepieces are still 1 to 1.5kg lighter. So there is a price to be paid in fiddling around with the balance position. ? I suppose I could rig up some simple counterbalance system, but that would just add another unwanted kilo or two.

The AZ8 is rated for 16kg each side. I weighed the 6" frac with both the 3" diagonal and 3" eyepiece at a total of 13.3kg yesterday, so it is quite a heavy setup.