• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is the NEQ6 portable?

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Does any one regularly take an NEQ6 out to the field to observe with? It seems pretty heavy, so is it a practical proposition for someone who will virtually always have to get in the car to observe?

I'm considering a C9.25 and everyone is telling me to go for an NEQ6, because I think will want to do some photography, but I am concerned that if it is too much of a beast I will be put off popping out for a quick observing session.

IMO it's to much for a quick observing session, but ideal for a star party, or an all nighter, much better in a observatory though. It is heavy but does break down into seperate bits, compared to the HEQ5 it's alot heavier and larger but well worth it, especially for imaging.

I take my HEQ5 out to the darksite and its an effort compared to the EQ5 I also use, however for highly accurate goto's and better tracking its worth it.

The NEQ6 Pro is most definitely not grab and go - but I have taken it to Belper once and set up in 10 mins for observing with the 115mm triplet. I also hoik it out onto the drive whenever I want a look at the sun - and of course I took it to Kelling - ideal for a week of that.

I'd say it's portable if you're dedicated, fit, and healthy, and take great care when lifting it - best used on longer sessions :)

Guest Steve

Hmmm, so would the CG-5GT count as grab and go?

Bundled with the C9.25 it is effectively £270, which I think is potentially good value. I'm thinking that I might go with this as a starting point and keep it as a portable mount. Then I could go for an NEQ6, or even one of the upcoming EQ/Alt Az mounts, in a year or so if I feel the burning need for more stability.

If I was to get a fast 80mm refractor for deep sky imaging, presumably the CG-5 would be better able to cope??? I guess I'd need an auto-guider as well, but these can be pretty small I think.

The CG5GT Goto is a smashing little mount - mine was very easy to break down and chuck in the car then set up at an obs meeting. It is better than the EQ5 with better engineered gears and bearings and 2" tripod legs for a little more stability. I personally feel an 8" ota the limit for observing before vibration starts to ruin the night - so a 9.25 might be a bit under mounted. But it will be fine for imaging with an 80mm refractor. I had a WO Meg 72 side by side with an ST80 guide scope on mine - fabulous combination imho.

I'd want the 925 on HEQ5 minimum and preferably NEQ6 - especially for imaging. :)