• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bird Feeder Activity

Ibbo

Has picked up dramatically in the last week from a couple of Wood Pigeons

Today visitors included

Starlings

Goldfinch

Chaffinch

House Sparrows

Dunnock

Blackbirds

Greenfinch

has anybody else had an increase or is it that couple of bags of rubbish that went to the tip the other day

They do not seam fazed by the telescope under the cover and the dog trimming clobber that was put on the washing line to air thats now wet through

Steve

Big increase in Green finch and Gold finch this year for me.

Other than that, my daily visitors are

Blackbirds (nesting in my garden shed)

Sparrows

Dunnocks

Robin

Blue and Longtailed (cant post the word)

Collard Doves

Feral Pigeons

A lack of Wrens compared to previous years

The Blackbirds are so tame, they ground feed a couple of feet from me

Edited by DN18

OK feeding birds this time of year, but NO whole peanuts, they kill the youngsters by choking!

That aside, we are getting flocks of House Sparrows and some Jackdaws?

I have a seed feeder, a peanut feeder and a fatball feeder, even with a large t*t population they are hardly touched

On our seed feeder we just have a couple of sparrows and a robin, all though the other week I found a load of feathers and some bits of what I think was a pigeon, my dad said he has seen a sparrow hawk near his house, he only lives a mile or so away, either that or a cat had it!

Our local sparrow hawk had the cheek to sit on a fence post, 2 feet from the feeders waiting for breakfast.

Our local sparrow hawk had the cheek to sit on a fence post, 2 feet from the feeders waiting for breakfast.

I bet that was well cool, I have a soft spot for raptors.

Certainly was. The time it flew into our garden, whilst I was digging chasing a swallow, was another cool moment. It was attempting to mimic the acrobatics of said swallow, it had no chance!

Edited by Rusty Strings

I'll never forget the time when I was about 14 in Devon shovelling chicken poo of all things with my dad when a buzzard fell from the sky right in front of us into a pile of straw with 2 crows absolutely pummelling it! We scared the crows off but the buzzard sat on the straw with its beak wide open for a good 30-40 minutes and we fed it (ironically) chicken breast and water then after a while it flew off. Magical memory will never forget it. My dad even named the buzzard "chicken George" :)

At the moment our feeders are being literally stripped of everything of value. We put sunflower hearts out in a 1 1/2 foot long feeder and in a day over a third of it was gone.

So far we've had...

• Goldfinches (10 at once counted)
  • Chaffinches
  • Greenfinches
  • Sparrows (I've counted about 8 at once)
  • Blackbirds
  • Blue tits
  • Long tailed tits
  • Great tits
  • Dunnocks
  • Starlings
  • Collared doves
  • Pigeons

Busy times!

That's a great story Felix,like it !!

Thanks Ron only wish i ha had the forethought o grab the polaroid-i was just mesmerised by the whole experience. Worried that if I left the buzzard would be gone when I got back. One of my more treasured memories. Looking back I was so lucky to grow up where I did in North Devon. Lovely 300 year old mill house,river running through a beautiful 2 acre garden. A 60 acre forest running right up to our garden boundary-wildlife galore. All within a couple of miles of the most beautiful rocky outcrops into the sea where I used to go fishing most weekends. Good times :)

Yeah I am lucky to have had that in my life-never took it for granted. I remember my dad asked me when I was about 10 what I wanted I be when I was grown up an I said "David Attenborough" :)