• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Attenborough NR it's been a while.

Doc

Some of you already know I have not been well again this fortnight, almost no neutrophils and low IgM levels had given me one of my mega colds again. Anyway staying indoors has driven me stir crazy so as I'm now on the mend I went down Attenborough today for a couple of hours.

Had a great time and it was a real pleasure to see the Blackcaps, Swifts, Swallows, and House Martins back. Also saw Common and Artic Terns diving into Conneries Pond.

There were circa 20 Linnets overlooking the Tower hide in Wheatear Field. Also saw the resident Kestral catching what looked like a Field Mouse.

The water levels were very high so this kept most of the waders away but did see some Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochards, Widgeon, and Teal.

As I said before there were lots of Whitethroats around and I'm 80% sure I also saw a Lesser Whitethroat, but try as I could I couldn't make out the dark patch under the eye that tells the two breeds apart, but it was smaller and rounder then a normal Whitethroat.

All in all a great day out and I felt loads better by getting some fresh air into my lungs.

Nice trip out Mick - glad you're feeling better now :)

At Kelling we had real close ups of robins and chaffinches - if I stood dead still they wondered up within a yard of my feet - or sat in a bush at shoulder height the same distance singing away with the dawn chorus. Beautifull to watch so close.

Glad ur getting better Mick, from coastal reports last week, Lesser Whitethroats were arriving at twice the number of Common Whitethrtoats? Big debates on BTO website about it! Rain still keeping most birds down and quiet but plenty of Red Kites and Buzzards around to keep me happy :)

Get well soon mate ready for Rutland Water trip!

Cheers Ron

It's nice to get out after feeling unwell and having cabin fever. Glad your'e feeling a bit better.

Cheers guys.

This makes me more happythat I was right that it could have been a lesser whitethroat Ron.