• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Modding the 350 D. Warning to you all, it can be fatal.

Graham

Hi all.

Well I decided to do the IR filter removal mod on my newly acquired 350 D last night.

I had read up on several posts on how to do this so started without any reservations.

Stripped the camera down following a photo step by step guide.

No problems everything was as in the photos.

When it came to removing the chip I did exactly as instructed, removed the screws and withdrew the plate holding the chip.

Then disaster struck, under my plate were 4 shaped very thin copper spacers.

These spacers were under the 2 mounting screws located each end of the plate on the right hand side looking from the base.

As I lifted the sensor off the camera one of these little spacers fell into the camera discharging the 'flash' capaciter into the circuit board.

Net result one very DEAD camera.

In all the threads I have read there has never been a mention of these stupid little spacers so be warned if you attempt this mod they do exisit and they can be fatal to your camera.

Guess I am on the lookout for another camera, heyho such is life.

Graham.

Sorry to hear that Graham, that kind of thing usually happens to me

Rusty - So I heard I thought I would take some of the pressure off you. lol

Pat - go for it whats the worst that can happen,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh maybe hold that thought.

bad luck Graham,

i be very miffed, and blame it on my wife, she blames me for everything else.

was in covered by the house insurance ?

Rob - Love the idea but I would never get away with it.

Martyn - It was not that expensive rearly as I go the camera cheap. Mind I am going to have to get another one now.

Dan - It probably is covered on the insurance, I will have to look into that one.Mind they will probably want reciepts ect and I don't have one.

went into Comet the other day while the wife was looking around a girly shop next door, and noticed Comet are selling Canon 1100d in red which look lovely and with a is lens for a good price, and are offering buy now pay next year, had to leave quickly.

lovely looking camera