• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Refractor and mount for 2k

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Hi all.

I've been going round the houses trying to find a way of getting a good scope on a decent mount that isn't going to break my back every time I want to observe. Initial thoughts were of the Celestron C9.25 SCT, but all the evidence pointed at the NEQ6 as my only sensible mount option.... and this is a beast. Given that I will want to try everything I was resigned to the fact that to do widefield imaging I would probably need a refractor as well.

I'm now considering whether I could achieve what I want with just a single, larger, reflector and forget the SCT. So of course, I would appreciate your opinions.

I'm thinking the Altair finder/guide solution is a good light-weight option which won't strain the mount or the budget. Anyone used this system in anger?

Budget: probably £2k for the scope and mount. I'll budget another £500 for a Hyperion click-stop, a diagonal and the Altair guide system. And an ironing chair!

Aperture: Is size everything? What will I see differently between an 80mm and a 120mm, say? (Kim, what was I looking through at your house)?

Presumably I would want to go for an APO or semi-APO to reduce chromatic aberration. The Skywatcher EDs and Altair Wave offerings look good, particularly the wave 115. Anyone got experience with these or similar?

And this leads me to the mount. (I want goto). Am I fooling myself thinking I could get away without the NEQ6? Could, say, the Altair Wave 115 and the guide system be realistically used on an HEQ5? Are there any alternatives?

And why is there so little stock about? I guess this means there are fewer deals to be done!

Lots of questions. But there are lots of options!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve I think we all have this dilema at one stage or the other.

A 115mm triplet will sit OK on a HEQ5 especially if you do not overload the mount with heavy cameras etc. The finder guider you mention is very light so this will be OK, you could always use an off axis guider instead which might reduce the weight some more.

I've used my 6" Achro refractor on my HEQ5 and that weighs alot more then an 115mm and it coped OK.

There are alternatives to the Skywatcher mounts such as Ioption, Losmandy and Celestron etc but they cost alot more, I would stick with a HEQ5 and the 115mm Triplet and see how you get on, in the meanwhile save up for a NEQ6, buy this and then save up for a 5" Triplet such as the Meade 127.

Hi Steve

I have a clutch of refractors and a couple of mounts so am a big refractor fan.

If your looking at the Altair 115 for imaging I would personally go for something around the EQ6 size. Although the HEQ5 is a great mount (I have one) by the time you load it up with scope, guide system, camera it'll be close to its capacity I reckon.

I use a celestron CGE mount for imaging with my scopes and this is as solid a platform as you can just about get and works a treat. I have imaged with smaller lighter scopes on the HEQ5 and it works well

If your just into visual then the HEQ5 and 115 combo will work a treat, I regularly use a 127 ED triplet on mine to good effect.