• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Requesting some EP suggestions

Guest Ryall

Guest Ryall

Hello folks, I'm looking for some suggestions for 2" EP's for my recently aquired 300P Dob. I have a fair selection of 1.25" EP's already from my previous scope but I really want those DSO's to pop out as it were and I find myself a little overwhelmed by the wide selection of 2" EP's out there and I'm a complete novice when it comes to these larges EP's

Can you good fellows suggest any?

I suppose I have between £100 - £200 to spend

Thanks!

Hi.

Same thing applys to 1.25" ep's as it does 2" ep's, it's only the size that is different (and the cost :()

With the price bracket you have specified above, are you looking to get a few ep's or just 1?

Don't think you will get a "really good one" for £200, but you should be able to get a decent one at that price.

I`m still leraning myself so I think I will bow out at this point and wait for either Kim or Mick or Martyn etc to assist, I`m still using just the one ep at the mo but will watch this post closely, after some 2" ep's my self, especally some 80 degree fov ep's!

Guest Ryall

Rephrase to "one fairly decent EP" ^^ Really I just a EP that is of equivalence to the scope I have if that makes sense. So I can make the most of the scope as it were! It's rather overwhelming the selection of accessories we get in this hobby isn't it. :D

Rephrase to "one fairly decent EP" ^^ Really I just a EP that is of equivalence to the scope I have if that makes sense. So I can make the most of the scope as it were! It's rather overwhelming the selection of accessories we get in this hobby isn't it. :D

Sorry if it sounds like I am being picky, just want to try and help you get the correct ep first time rather than through trial and error (all though in this game, trial and errer seems the best way)

I think your scope is an F4.9 so will need good eyepieces to achieve the best possible views. I have tried numerous eyepieces in my 16" dob and always found them lacking in edge performance and always gave me comet shaped stars no matter how good my collimation was. The best of the bunch by far were the William Optics Uwans, the 28mm offers 82° FOV and gave me excellent views right out to about 5% from the edge.

Others I tried were:

Moonfish 30mm UW which was really poor

Baader Hyperion 31mm Aspheric which was pretty good, removed most of comet shaped stars, and was good to 15% from the edge.

Skywatcher Panaview 32mm 72° which was simialr to the Baader maybe 20% of the outer edge rubbish

I borrowed a Vixen 30mm LVW and this very good indeed almost as good as the UWAN's

I would say a toss up between UWANs and Vixen LVW's

I think your scope is an F4.9 so will need good eyepieces to achieve the best possible views. I have tried numerous eyepieces in my 16" dob and always found them lacking in edge performance and always gave me comet shaped stars no matter how good my collimation was. The best of the bunch by far were the William Optics Uwans, the 28mm offers 82° FOV and gave me excellent views right out to about 5% from the edge.

Others I tried were:

Moonfish 30mm UW which was really poor

Baader Hyperion 31mm Aspheric which was pretty good, removed most of comet shaped stars, and was good to 15% from the edge.

Skywatcher Panaview 32mm 72° which was simialr to the Baader maybe 20% of the outer edge rubbish

I borrowed a Vixen 30mm LVW and this very good indeed almost as good as the UWAN's

I would say a toss up between UWANs and Vixen LVW's

Can you get UWAN's in 2" format?

Looking at FLO they only seem to do UWAN's in 1.25" (or are they just limiting stock?)

Most eyepieces that are 2" are 20mm focal length and above. As Mick says, you will need a really good, and therefore expensive eyepiece to work well with a fast Newt.

That said, one of my favorite eyepieces is appalling at the edge, with more seagulls than Skeggy beach, but the view through the middle portion is good with decent eye relief. It's a 26mm Adler, which I bought second hand for thirty quid, and it gets used regularly.

Craig has the 32mm version and I think he likes it.

You don't have to spend hundreds of pounds, but if you had a look through a Televue eyepiece, the quality is very discernible.

If you get chance, come over to one of the dark site sessions and have a look through some glass before you part with any money, as eyepieces are really a matter of personal choice.

Guest Ryall

Thank you all for the tips, which is the dark site you go to Baz? the belper site? im subscribed as I'm a keen bean just waiting on the weather really. I'm thinking I will hold off for the time being until I've had a chance to peep at the groups own EP's.

We're all awaiting the next clear sky on a weekend lol. I use both Belper and Sawley - but more the latter as it's closer to home.

When we do meet up - I have a fair selection of reasonable quality eyepieces you can try for size in your scope - so make a point of grabbing my attention :)

The Belper site is the darker of the two, but is a bit more remote. Sawley is easier to get to near J24 of the M1, but isn't so dark.

Either are great when the weather cooperates.

Look forward to meeting you.

Keep an eye on the info and announcements threads, as it's sometimes posted within a few hours of going, due to the unpredictable weather.

Guest Ryall

I plan to shoot to the Belper site as soon as I see stars :D Look forward to meeting everyone, gotta say I'm really liking the community feel on these forums

We're all awaiting the next clear sky on a weekend lol. I use both Belper and Sawley - but more the latter as it's closer to home.

When we do meet up - I have a fair selection of reasonable quality eyepieces you can try for size in your scope - so make a point of grabbing my attention

Reasonable EP's??!! Kim is being modest they are awesome!! :)

Don't forget the skywatcher nirvana 28mm which is rebranded williams optics uwan 28mm and is cheaper with presumably the same performance.