We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
malc-c

HEQ5 - Blown mainboard ?

malc-c

Hi,

I have dropped Graham a PM but thought I would post my problem here as well just in case someone else can chip in (reading up on old posts it seems Graham's the guru when it comes to fixing things)

HEQ5 / SW200P in an ROR observatory.  Mount had its main board replaced in 2013, and has been fine until today.  It's powered via a 13.8v regulated bench power supply - Fusion unit

41DjgMxhlqL.jpg

The scope was last used a couple of weeks ago - a full slew to check that things were still Ok as it was left standing for around 4 months over winter as I was not able to use the scope due to an injury. It worked just fine.  Today I though I would take a look at the sun and powered up the scope, turned the PC on and connected the scope via EDMOD and CDC - the scope slewed and I was just making small alignment adjustments when I could smell that burning electrical smell, and thought it was the PC, so bent down to check and looked at the PSU to see if it something was drawing too much current - it showed just over an amp, and then the display on the PSU went out accompanied by a pop.

I then got a 12v 2amp wall block that powered an old router - confirmed it was supplying 12v and plugged that into the mount.  Switching on I get the usual clunck but no high pitched zinging from the motors.  Thinking I had blown the board I went to shut down the PC and have a cry.... but noticed that EQMod was still displaying positional data.  Powering down the mount resulted in the Time Out Comms failure message, powering back up and the positional data is displayed again.  I put up a post on SGL and Chris confirmed that if EQMod is displaying data, then it's communicating directly with the PIC micro on the mounts main board.  However any command to move the mount, via the PC or gampad fails.  So it would seem that the issue is probably in the driver side of the board.

Hopefully Graham will reply and know exactly what component has failed and how to fix it - I'm fairly capable when it comes to soldering.  I would be interested to hear from anyone else who's had a similar issue and if your (graham?) managed to fix it ?

Regards

Malcolm 

malc-c

Guys,

You probably already know it, but Graham is a genius.... he suggested I replace a couple of components, and as I had them in a hobby box gave it a go.... pleased to say that the board is now fully functional... just got to put the mount back together after tea....

Thanks Graham 

supun wije

Sorry to bump up an old thread. I just came across this while searching for the same issue I'm having with my own HEQ5-pro. The error I get on my hand controller is "Caution: both axes no response". The EQMOD cables are also not able to communicate with the mount. I just recently started getting into this hobby and this has been a huge bummer for me, especially since it's the best time to photograph DSOs here in Canada. I see that replacing some components helped fix the issue, could someone please let me know which components might need replacing.

Also, wondering what might be causing these boards to blow up in the first place. In my case I was trying a new DIY eqmod cable (I already had a working one). I also left my mount outside in the backyard for few weeks covered in a plastic bag and it worked just two days ago. As far as I could tell the EQMOD usb cable was wired properly, can this even blow up the motherboard?

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me fix my mount.  Thank you!

Graham

Hi there. 

I will send you the details of which components probably need replacing when I get home from work today. 

They are the 2 large black capacitors top left of the board next to the cable sockets. 

Graham

Here you go.

These 2 caps are normally the culprits.

Change them out for 35 volt ones.

spacer.png