• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stolen Astro Gear.

I have just spotted this on Astrobuysell, and it's very unfortunate. It looks like they got away with a lot of costly kit.

So if anyone spots anything, then contact the Police please.

Break in at the Astronomy Centre Todmorden

There has been a break in at the Astronomy Centre Todmorden, Unfortunately a lot of kit has been stolen. A full inventory will follow. This is a public outreach facility and is Peter Drew's life work. This is a big blow for the club.

http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/

Please be on the look out for new adds for Coronado scopes and Solar scopes that have been modified. Large refracting binoculars and large reflecting binoculars in particular. Please pass the word and inform the police and the Astronomy Centre if you have your suspicions.

If you can help by putting up warnings on any of the Astronomy forums,

that will be appreciated.

Thank you,

David

There is a word or two for people who do that sort of thing but I don't think it will be appropriate to share!

Guest Kheldar

There is a word or two for people who do that sort of thing but I don't think it will be appropriate to share!

One or two punishments too that are equally unmentionable ...... :(

So far, the list comprises:-

Unique 6" F8 refracting Binocular telescope

Unique 6" F8 reflectng binocular telescope

12" Meade LX200 OTA

6" F8 black Helios refractor modded Ha scope

6" F8 blue Skywatcher refractor

3 Coronado PST bodies

2 black EQ6 mounts

1 white EQ6 Pro mount

It looks like this was stolen to order, and would have taken quite an effort to remove, so it's looking like there were a number of scum involved with this burglary.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to review our own security measures, I have a friend who has had a lot of monies worth of fishing tackle stolen last year, despite him having a Mastiff in the house.

Thing is, if it was stolen to order, that must mean that somebody knows what kit they had, so members must be checked at least surley?

The non gulity have nothing to hide!

Edited by Daz type-r

I know Peter quite well - he camped next to us at Kelling last autumn for a week. He's the loveliest chap with his heart and soul into the hobby - it's terrible that this has happened to him - I can't help feeling that this stuff will start appearing by drip feed into the astro community later in the year (or next) when the heat's off.

makes you wonder if you should mark or tag your gear in some way, i don`t have masses of gear, but i bet theres still a few bobs worth even second hand.

The trouble is, that we all buy and sell gear on a regular basis, it's how you grow in the hobby. If you start marking your gear ie; etching names on etc what happens when you want to move onto better/more expensive gear??

Someone on SGL mentioned the use of Smart Water, you don't know it's there until you want to prove something is your's. I might look into that, as once on, it cannot be removed.

If Pete puts up some pictures of the stolen gear, I would think that there's a good chance of someone in the UK finding it, as it is fairly rare stuff, well the optics are due to the modifications that have been made to them.

How many refractor/reflector binoculars are there? They will stand out.

The problem as far as Iam concerned is the lack of punishment they will get if caught. How many programs have you seen where the Police spend money and manpower to catch the scum, only to have the CPS say there's a lack of evidence, despite a film crew being there, or completely cocking up their own procedure and they get off any way.

I'll get off my soap box now. Hmmpf.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a link from Pete with pictures of some of the stolen gear.

They are both totally unique, as they are custom built, so there's nothing out there that looks like these.

http://pdrew.co.uk/?p=218

If you see it contact Peter Drew, on StarGazers Lounge.