• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Webcam

Rock Doctor

Hi everyone,

I've seen a couple of posts re the Philips webcams and know that trying to get one of these and not paying through the nose is like the preverbial 'Rockinghorse ****'

Does anyone have any other makes and models that would do just as well and if I get one of these what mods do I need to do on it other that a nose piece to accept an LP or IR filter and house it in the focuser. Having had a quick look on the web and Amazon there are now HD webcams which given the age of the Philips must have improvements to the chip and resolution over the Philips. The Microsoft ones look pretty good and are a nice cylinder shape so the nose-piece should be an easy mod to make.

Also as a complete newbie to this, why don't you use the webcam after the EP instead attaching it instead of the EP to get the magnifying power of the EP? Is it just that there are no screw fittings on the eye side of the EP or is there something that I've missed. :)

Thanks

Dave

No rush Pat. I sympathise about the back I've had a long history of back pain interspaced with the osteopath and injections into my spine. :unsure:

yep I know it well when mine goes I can lie down or walk around but can't do anything in between so I can't drive or use a computer which is no good for work or leisure.

Dave - you might like to keep tabs on Astronmiser. Andy Ellis is one of the first guys to develope the Steve Chambers (SC) webcam mods and there's loads of info on the site about it (and Canon DSLR's). I'm about to send him a 1000D for mod'ing myself. They sell a range of ready modified cameras and acessories specifically for astronomy.

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/

Thanks Kim.

that's where I got my power leads for the bench top 12v supply.

Don't know whether you saw on the polar scope illuminater thread but the idea of attaching a 12v led to a phono plug and then to a controller box works although I made the one suggested by Stephen as well. I'm now going to modify Stephen's design so that it plugs into a box with a pot to control the brightness. Having as much fun building things for the scope on these cloudy nights.

Here's another vote for Astronomy Shed, a great bunch of guy's and some fantastic tutorials from Dion.

Anything to do with sheds has to be good!