• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Venus Transit

Guest Marine Bio

Ive sent Manor Farm Caravan park at Anderby a mail to see if they've got room for me to pitch a tent for the night.

Looks like its close to the beach (couple of mins drive) you're suggested we setup at.

I'm planning on being there early. All nighter if its clear.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonC

• cosmic dave

• tbird

• oldfruit

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest philh

Hi All!

There's at least one person from Nottingham Astro who will be in Greece to watch the transit, and I have a friend who will be in Sydney (not specifically for the transit, though). For me, it will have to be somewhere in the UK, though.

Anyway - if the weather is looking anything like half decent I'll head over from Nottingham to the east coast. I have a people-carrier large enough to sleep in, so I could kip in that over-night and get set up in the early hours. Either that or drive over at early o'clock. If there's a few of us camping out on or near the beach, I'd prefer to join them for a mini astro-camp.

I've borrowed an 8" reflector for which I've already made a webcam prime focus adaptor (seems to work really well) and the scope already has stop-down cut outs in the cap. Just need to get some baader film and I'm sorted.

I've had a look on google maps and Huttoft looks like it's a couple of miles in-land! Where exactly are you planning to meet up - I don't know this area at all, so if anyone could post a pin-point google link, that would help greatly.

I notice that Rob (red dwarf) lives close to me, so maybe we can meet up!

Hope to see some of you soon,

Phil

Hi Phil, I'd be more than happy to meet up and maybe travel down together, where abouts are you ?

I'm more than likely to travel down either late the evening before or very early in the morning, the wifes asked family to come up from devon for the queens jubilee so I'm alittle stuck

If you check on Google earth, Beach Road leads from Huttoft towards the sea, cross over the road and cut through the golf course and it ends up where I photographed earlier in this thread, on the beach car park.. :)

My plan at the moment is to head over the night before and sleep in my people carrier.

Guest Fluke

I'm going to get to Manor Farm by about 5pm on the Tues evening. Then chill out and do some solar observing if it's clear.

Would be good to meet up with some of you guys that evening if you're around.

Look for the huttoft car terrace signs on the coast road. It a concrete car park on the beach !

Guest philh

Hi Guys - Right - Found it: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=huttoft&hl=en&ll=53.282423,0.310213&spn=0.003605,0.010568&hnear=Huttoft,+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.282423,0.310213&panoid=M3yfn0DRi34Eob_Xo16y2A&cbp=12,153.97,,0,9.47

Now that we have the location, I've run simulations in Stellarium. The centre of the sun will at an apparent altitude of 1 degree above the horizon at 4:47am BST. Third contact is at 5:32 and it's all done by 5:49 (when the centre of the sun will be at an apparent altitude of 8deg30". Fortunately, Venus will be in the top-right side of the sun's disk, so venus will rise before the sun has fully risen.

By comparison, in Nottingham the sun appears 1 degree above the horizon at 4:54 - but I can't see the North-Eastern horizon here due to houses & trees!

In Skegness, the sun will rise on a compass bearing of 50 degrees (north-east, anaf).

Is it really worth booking a camp site? If those of us who arrive the night before get there about 8-ish, that's only about 7 1/2 hours before we're up again and heading off to the viewing site. Why not go directly to the beach car park and set up there. Maybe grab a quick kip in the car if you can't last a night without sleep. Depends how much they enforce the 'No Overnight Camping' rule.

If people don't fancy that, then we'll all book into Manor Farm. That way we could try to get their earlier (Fluke's time of 5.00 seems a good idea) and have a couple of beers, etc (can't have many because we want to see clearly in the morning and don't want to be over the limit when driving to the beach at 4am). Make sure we set the alarms!!!

Will manor farm have their gates open and allow traffic to exit at that time in the morning? Some camp sites prohibit driving and lock the gates between certain hours. Perhaps it might be best if we tell them they we're all together and it might be best to give us pitches near the exit.

I have a small cooker & kettle (and fridge - for the milk / beer). Also have a mains inverter to power the laptop, etc. We can get everything ready the evening before (while the sun is still up) so we're ready to go, then have a fairly early night.

Actually, I think I will book into Manor Farm - if we all meet up there we can get to know each other a bit and there's no worries about camping on a public car park.

Rob - I live in Beeston! The Queen's Jubilee is pretty much done by 4 o'clock on the Tuesday evening - you could head off then. Considering you won't be off to see another transit of Venus for 105 years, that gives plenty of time for visitors to return! If it's going to be cloudy, you may as well stay in cloudy Nottingham as cloudy Skeggy!!

Hopefully see some of you at Manor Farm and on the beach on the morning of the 6th!!

Cheers,

Phil

Guest Fluke

Phil,

Awesome thorough post!

It will be nice to have some company at Manor Farm.

I've currently gone for the no electric pitch at £10 but will call tomorrow and change to leccy. I'll double check with them that they are ok with us leaving the site at stupid a clock too.

Dan

So you'll be sorting out the best pitch for October then!!? ;)

Well I'm planning on being around huttoft car terrace all night so see you guys there.

Guest philh

I have received an e-mail from Manor Farm confirming my small camper-van space. I told them that there were a few of us staying over on the night on Tuesday 5th to Weds 6th. I suggested that they put us near the exit so we can head off without disturbing anyone else. That week is Half-Term for the kids so the camp site might be busy.

The Baader Film arrived this morning so I made a solar filter for the scope and another for the finder. I was given an old Webcam which I took apart and removed the lens. Turns out that 35mm film canisters are exactly the same size as the eyepiece so I drilled a hole in the canister and fitted the webcam into it. The attached photo of the sun was taken at about lunchtime today. The 3 dots to the right-hand side are just crap on the camera, but there is one big sunspot visible with 2 smaller ones below it. The big sunspot would be about the size of the Earth (and therefore the size of Venus) so that's about the size we are looking for on June 6th.

The problem is that the webcam is a bit crap so if anyone has either a CCD or a DSLR, I'd love to take sone photos. I only have a Panasonic Bridge camera which I can't take the lens off but I've had no success whatsoever taking photos though the scope with that.

I'll be taking lots of kit (laptop, mains inverter, cooker+kettle, fridge) but if there's anything else we think we need, shout up and I'm sure someone can take it.

Anyway, see you all on 5th-6th.

Cheers,

Phil

Guest philh

I'm going to see how the weather looks. If it's going to be a write-off I'll not bother going. However, if it looks half decent I'll go. We were in a very cloudy Newquay for the eclipse of 1999. About 2 minutes before totality there was a small break in the clouds which just lined up with the sun and we ended up seeing a perfect eclipse!!

I'll let you know what I'm doing, but at the moment it's looking a bit dodgy.

If we do end up going - if anyone has a spare T2 mount for a 1.25" eyepiece, could they please bring it along. I orderd one but I don't think it will he here in time. I've got the adaptor and camera, etc, but not the T2 tube to go in the EP holder.

Hopefully it will be OK!

Guest Fluke

Im of the same opinion Phil. Im off Tues/Weds so am flexible, but if it looks like rain/cloud as of Tuesday morning I'm going to give it a miss.

There's always next time, in 112 years Doh!!

Still a chance things will change so fingers crossed!

Hi guys sorry ive gone quiet on this, I have been working on a new online business idea, I will be at huttoft car terrace for this defo ! if its clear i will be there all night of not i will be the at about 3.30am I not going to risk missing this you never know the clouds may part???

I will go along whatever the weather also. As you say Dave, you never know?

Doing some gear testing this morning while the Sun's actually out!!

Trying out different filters etc, I'll be using the Baader Zoom with my 1000d.

Forecast is not looking good for the transit, but they have been wrong before!!

Edited by Ron Clarke

I'll still go along, there might be a break in the cloud enough to see some of the transit