• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filter positioning and size

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Hi - With a 2" diagonal on the back of a C9.25, plugging in a Baader Hyperion zoom, which is 1.25", where in the plumbing do filters go? Specifically a neodymium filter?

I'm not sure if I would need the 2" or 1.25" version.

(I am minutes away from ordering a C9.25 on a CGEM mount - just trying to tie up the details).

Thanks

Steve

Guest Steve

Initially the Baader Hyperion clickstop - this is 1.25" with a 2" adapter. The Hyperion description stated: "Accepts photo-adapter M43/T-2 for easy and rigid adaptation of various DSLR-T-Mount rings. ", and I'll have a Canon EOS fit T-ring to go onto that.

n.b. OpticStar are no-longer a Celestron supplier.

Guest Steve

Now that's a question! I think it will be. Is that where you'd fit the filter - between the visual back and the diagonal? In that case it would be 2".

Surely they would screw in the back of the Baader zoom? Mine do! Otherwise you will need to remove your diagonal every time you want to remove/change filters?

Guest Steve

Well I'm hearing that the Neodymium filter is generally a good thing, so it might well stay in place most of the time.

Can't it screw onto your visual back then insert the diagonal or screw into the rear end of your diagonal, this way your light pollution filter is always on even if you need to use other filters such as colour ones or O111 ones which you can screw into your eyepiece.

Guest Steve

OK, thanks for the answers - 2" it is. I think this is the better option as I can use it with 1.25" Eps as well as 2".

Sigh, it will cost more though!

If you get the Baader 2" adaptor for the zoom then you'll be able to change the filter at will (and the zoom will be more stable and easier to lock into the diagonal) :)

I beleive the Baader Hyperion Zoom comes with a 2" adaptor, no need to buy one (mine and the mother-in-laws both came with 2" adaptors)

you can always buy a filter wheel, used for imaging and visual.

nice scope and mount purchase by the way, i`m very envious

Edited by red dwalf

As to the filter itself, I'd vote for the Skywatcher 2" LP filter, it's effectively the Neo but much cheaper. I've got both and use the SW all the time.