• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally, a decision...

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Phew.

I now have the confirmation email from FLO for the order for my first kit. It will be a Celestron C9.25 on a CGEM mount. These are in stock at FLO, so I'm expecting a lot of heavy boxes to appear at my door next week some time - I will do some piccies of the goodies as they arrive.

Also gone for the Baader Hyperion Zoom and Barlow, (thanks Kim), 2" WO diagonal, the F6.3 Focal Reducer, a Neodymium filter, a Canon EOS T Ring, a sheet of Baader AstroSolar film, (I'll be in Blue Peter mode in no time making a nice safe cap - and yes, I'll be careful with the guide scope), and also a Baader Solar Continuum filter.

I know this is only the beginning, but I think I have a big enough learning curve with this lot to keep me busy for quite some time.

Oh, and apparently it will now start raining!!!

I'll update as things start to arrive.

Look forward to getting out to a session once I am up and running.

Tha'ts a very nice start Steve - Congrats :)

(Will look forward to seeing it all).

Fantastic.

Wish I could of started out with such a set-up!

Enjoy.

Congrats on the purchases!

Oh, and apparently it will now start raining!!!

It has to stop first... :(

Congrats Steve on the new scope.

I love my Celestron but you will find it a money pit as there is always something that you need so will either cost you more or spark yet another interest in making bits and pieces for the scope to customise it. Depending on how you get on with the CGEM, I would make my first purchase a polar alignment scope as accurate alignment is a must.

Dave

Guest Steve

Yeah, there is a long list of extras I'm sure. But the missus has a good left hook, so I'll have to be patient!

Guest Steve

Oh it's the waiting I can't stand!

Still, just been on Jury Duty for 2 weeks. Spent 1.5 days in court and 7 days sat in the waiting area getting more bored than I have ever been in my life. So I am now in peak waiting shape and have achieved a Zen-like calm..... but I hope FLO email soon :angry:

Oh it's the waiting I can't stand!

Still, just been on Jury Duty for 2 weeks. Spent 1.5 days in court and 7 days sat in the waiting area getting more bored than I have ever been in my life. So I am now in peak waiting shape and have achieved a Zen-like calm..... but I hope FLO email soon :angry:

PMSL - :D . You will need some more of that zen like calm, now you have some new kit, 3 weeks of cloud will soon follow! :angry:

Nice set up Steve, that will keep you out of trouble for a while.

Did you opt for the optional guttering kit! :D

Guest Steve

Yay - delivery due tomorrow - everything apart from the focal reducer. Guess I'll leave everything in the boxes until that arrives! <_<

Congrats on the new scope Steve.

What do you want to read the manual for, you're a bloke. :lol:

Guest Steve

OK. Set it all up in the house. (I'll post piccies tomoz), Then about 9:30 it cleared up outside. So I thought, what the heck and dis-assembled and reassembled in the Garden. Not really any expectations, just for the practice.

Once it was up I stuck the barbecue cover over the top and spent 30 minutes being taxi-dad. (Thermal equilibrium approaches, thought I, the wise old head that I am), and off I went to tackle the Celestron hand controller.

Got on OK with the controls - 2-star alignment not so easy when you don't know your stars so well, but SkySafari on my tablet helped in the end.

This is where it got tricky. The guide scope is a pain - I think I need a red-dot finder - I liked Kim's when I had a go at his. But I persevered and finally got alignment. 'Let's have a look at Mars' thought I. So it slewed in the general direction... but nothing doing.

I know where I went wrong I think. The finder scope was not aligned with the SCT, so I was less like an astronomer and more like Clarence the Cross-eyed Lion! :wacko:

Then about 11:30 it clouded over, so I went into reverse and got it back indoors.

I might have to put on a balaclava and start pruning some of next door's apple trees. And our cherry tree, now the blossom is about done.

So overall I am happy. But I think I'm going to have to hang out with someone who knows what they are doing to pick up the basics!

If it's clear on Saturday night Steve - you'd be welcome to bring it over for a session. Just bring the OTA and we can slip it on my NEQ6 Pro for a spin :)

Guest Steve

Sigh, off to Devon for the weekend. Grandma's 103rd birthday today!!

But I hope to take you up on the offer next opportunity.

Cheers