• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Just purchased my first Ethos

djpaul

I was just searching on ABS and noticed an Ethos 4.7 for sale in as new condition boxed etc.

Looks perfect in the pictures.

And seemed a good buy at just £290 including postage.

Cant go wrong at that price.

Thats it i have to stop buying for a while now lol

Paul

Ive booked a week in a glamping tent for next month, about 8 miles inland from Hunstanton. been there before and its a fantastic dark site.

looking forward to taking my new gear and giving it a good test.

Paul

Once you have gone green and black there is no going back!

Im sure you will love it, congrats.

Okay this may sound silly but the seller of the ethos 4.7mm I bought  has now sold me an ethos 10mm also in absolute brand new condition for just £250 posted.

Which means I'm selling on my 10mm delos.

Paul 

Doesn't sound silly at all. You're getting an awesome range of eyepieces together now. You'll see the Imax cinema view of the heavens. ? ?

okay it might be best to sell on both my 10mm and 17. 3mm delos and get something in the 20mm - 24mm area. To fill the gap.

Any suggestions welcome.

Paul 

Well, you've stepped up into the 100 and 110 degree exotic eyepiece realm, don't look back now. ?

There are some nice 17, 20, 21 and even 25mm 100 degree eps that will blow your mind, (and wallet). ?

Tried out my 10mm Ethos lastnight. Absolutely fantastic.

Was lucky enough to find a buyer for both my 10mm and 17.3mm delos which I purchased from members of this site for what I paid for them and have now bought a 17mm ethos to finish my new eyepiece collection. 

So I now have.

4.7mm ethos x 190 mag

10mm ethos x 90 mag

17mm ethos x 52 mag

35mm panoptic x 26 mag

3-6mm nagler zoom 300-150 mag

That's it I'm all done. ?

Paul 

Just waiting for the postman to deliver the 17mm and then I will post pictures.?

Hi 

I have taken pictures but foes omega reason I can seem to put them on here 

What format and what size is allowed.

Tried for ages yesterday and gave up  lol.

Also this may sound a silly question but what is the going rate for secondhand ethos eyepieces?

So far I have picked these up for what I thought was ridiculously cheap.

I bought them all from the same seller 1 at a time.

In total I have paid him 

Ethos 4.7 £280

Ethos 10mm £240

Ethose 17mm £340

I also gave him £10 for each sale for special delivery.

He is now offering me an Ethos 8mm for £210 including postage.

Any ideas of what they are worth secondhand ?

Looking on abs archive ads I see them advertised at £350 - £400 each most of the time.

Paul 

8 hours ago, djpaul said:

Hi 

I have taken pictures but foes omega reason I can seem to put them on here 

What format and what size is allowed.

Tried for ages yesterday and gave up  lol.

Hi Paul. I usually upload my photos to Flickr or similar then copy and paste the url in to your post, it will then automatically imbed the photo to your post. 

Nice eyepiece and I think a good price, but would you use it if you have the 10mm?

I will try to upload pics again later.

To be honest at the price of £210 for an 8mm ethos i was considering buying it, testing it against my Ethos 10mm and selling either of them on for £300.

Looking at the ones i have bought from him so far i dont think they have even been used.

Paul

If you have the 10mm already I would not bother with the 8mm, or vice a versa, the 2mm extra (or less, depending which way round you are going) is negligible and in my opinion you would just be wasting your time (and potentially your money).

If you can see my signature, you will see I have the 21mm, 13mm and the 8mm which makes up the logical set of 21mm, 13mm and 8mm.  The other option to go for (again, in my opinion) is the 17mm, 10mm, 6mm combination. Each step within these two sets approaches a 3x field area gain.  Go for the 21mm, 13mm and 8mm if you want wide views and less power or go for the 17mm, 10mm and 6mm if you want slightly higher power.

The views between an 8mm and a 10mm will almost be the same, to the point where I bet you will hardly notice.

In my scope, I get 57x mag, 92x mag and 150x mag.

In your scope (assuming the focal length is 900mm), the 10mm will give you 90x mag and the 8mm will give you 112x mag.  You could argue that 22x mag difference is sufficient enough to warrant another eye piece but like I say above, I just think you would be wasting your time and effort.

You could do what I did and purchase a TeleVue 2x Power Mate, that way, you technically have 6 ep's!!!!!

Ethos

Edited by Daz Type-R

Nice, good collection you have there.

As stated above, I wouldn't bother with the 8mm.

You're putting together a nice collection there Paul of high quality glass.

Think of them as investments rather than 'sounding silly'.

You will find they will hold their value well, and you'll easily be able to sell them on, in the future, if you so wish.

They also work very well indeed with fast optics, making the need for a coma corrector pretty much unnecessary for visual work.

As amateurs we are very lucky to be able to purchase such fantastic quality eyepieces, and are indebted to their

master optical designer, Paul Dellechiaie.

I'm pleased to hear you are enjoying the views ?

Very nice top class set of eyepieces. ?

I think your next move should be to exchange the Panoptic for a 21mm or 25mm 100 degree to get more wide angle consistency. When you really start getting used to your 100 degree eyepieces, you might find the Panoptic feels a bit restrictive and provides less of a wow factor.

The 3-6mm Nagler going from about 150x to 300x should be great for seeking out the highest usable power on planets or the moon. On planets the 50 degree FOV will be wide enough, though things will drift out of view fast without a motor drive. You'll probably find yourself swapping it for the much bigger view in the 4.7mm 110 degree Ethos.

Enjoy experimenting with the views. 

I have had the Nagler zoom for 3 years its great for lunar viewing zooming in and out testing the maximum ability of my scope on the night in question.

Im totally pleased with managing to pick these up for less than half the retail cost .

Cant see myself selling them anytime soon.

Paul

• 2 months later...
On 09/07/2018 at 15:48, Tweedledee said:

Very nice top class set of eyepieces. ?

I think your next move should be to exchange the Panoptic for a 21mm or 25mm 100 degree to get more wide angle consistency. When you really start getting used to your 100 degree eyepieces

As suggested in the quote above

I have now sold my 35mm Panoptic and purchased a 26mm Nagler.

Slightly narrower fov. But higher magnification and darker background. 

Paul