• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power supply

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Hi,

Is this the sort of supply used for powering mounts and accessories out in the field?

car-5in1-jumper-starter-12v-portable-battery-power-pack-900-amp-air-compressor-invertor-200w-swpp5-67540-p.jpg

Car 17Ah 900Amp Compact Portable 5-IN-1 Power Station,Jump Starter, Compressor, Led Light, Power Pack, 200W Inverter

5 in 1 POWER STATION

1. 17AH RECHARGEABLE POWER PACK

12V DC Portable Power Supply can be used to operate most 12V accessories with a cigar lighter plug

2. 200 WATT POWER MAINS INVERTER TO 12 VOLTS

3. 900 AMP EMERGENCY JUMP START 17Ah 900Amp Power Pack Rechargeable either Mains and 12volt DC Cigar Lighter. Both recharging cables included

4. 260 PSI AIR COMPRESSOR for inflating Tyres, Air beds and balls.

5. BUILT IN WORK LIGHT

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Steve

Hi.

That looks okay apart from one thing (and it's a big un).

It is only 17 AH (Amps/Hour).

If you need it to power a laptop/notebook, dew heater pads and controls, if on a EQ motor driven mount then that will last you 1-3 hours at best.

You really need a 30 AH battery upwards (even more if powering laptops and mount)

Some of the dew systems alone I.e, the 4 channel Kendrick dew system output upto 2 AH per port, so in 1 hour, that will draw 8AH only leaving you 9 amps to power the rest.

For my dew system alone (when I get it) I am powering it from a 38 AH battery.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Daz.

Edited by Daz type-r

I got it from a chap on here, Martyn (Baz senior). His work allows him to take high spec batterys away when they are done with them (as long as he makes no money on them), I got one of the small ones off him, in fact, quite a few people on here have got them.

You then just need to make/buy a sutible box, and buy all the neccesary cables etc to link the battery to your mount/laptop/dew system etc,

Guest Steve

Would that be a straight car-battery type of thing with just the 2 terminals which you are then plugging socket adapters etc on to?

I have a barely used, but well out of charge, Leisure battery of that sort kicking around in the garage - I wonder if I could resurrect it?

Yeah thats it. It is the size of a car battery, I then got a positive and negative crocadile clips that leads into a female cigarette adapter. The Kendrick dew system controller then plugs into that.

The battery is then housed in a plastic box from Wilkos, top, bottom and sides covered in foil and then 1.25" foam (for insulation) with the battery sitting inside.

Guest Steve

Thanks Daz. I've found loads of battery box info on SGL now, so I'll be going the DIY route I think.

Cheers

I use the one in the photograph it's quite a good little unit and very handy but I agree it's not up to running a laptop for more than a couple of hours. If its got a problem it's the mains socket on the back. The switch is easily knocked on and the inverter kicks in and drains the battery.

Crikey I like the sound of a 30ah. Will have to see if I can get one of those :)

Guest Steve

The battery is then housed in a plastic box from Wilkos, top, bottom and sides covered in foil and then 1.25" foam (for insulation) with the battery sitting inside.

Can you explain the purpose of the foil and foam? The examples I've seen on SGL just put a battery in a box.

I use the "5 in1" in the picture too. Very handy for running up the dark site for a 3hr session - powers any of my scopes with no problem. I wouldn't hang a dew system off it though and forget running a computer. It would just drain too quickly being only 17ah. Soon as it's down under 3/4 charge the gear starts playing up. But I've had 5hrs out of it before now.

30ah is nothing - you can get a leisure battery from a caravan shop that will go all night with everything rigged up to it - they come in at 80ah or 110ah commonly. They're built to power a whole caravan for a weekend. Baz's battery's are good as well - ex UPS for computers I believe.

The main thing is to keep them well charged - even when not in use they need a boost up every three months or so - if you let any battery go flat it may need a deep cycle charger to come back to life - but usually end up unrecoverable. :)

Guest Steve

Can you explain the purpose of the foil and foam? The examples I've seen on SGL just put a battery in a box.

Sounds like I'd be wise to go for something beefy from the start to future-proof myself.

I've just refreshed my question above I think Kim and I were speaking at the same time!

I suppose it is just overkill on my part. At one of our dark sites at Sawley I have heard it gets very dewey down there due to a stream that runs along the bottom of the field, also these dark sites get very very cold during winter so I just thought a bit more insulation would help the battery.

Also as I have said previously, my battery is off Martyn. It is what has become know on here as a "Baz battery". :)

It's worth spending some time finding out about batteries and their ability to run lots of astro kit. The typical car battery is designed to provide a lot of current for a short period of time to start the engine, the alternator run the electrical stuff thereafter. What works best for our needs are leisure batteries that are designed to provide a constant current for many hours.

Understand what you are saying there John but will Baz's batteries not do for the majority of our needs. Obviously, if you are looking to run laptops, mounts, dew systems etc then a leisure battery would be best, but surely they will be ok for just mounts or dew systems or perhaps both?

Just thinking from a cost point of view, I'm sure leisure batteries are not cheap?

Edited by Daz type-r

You can get a 110ah leisure battery for around £90 these days (about £70 for the 85ah ones). :)

(Celestron 17ah power packs by comparison are silly money imho)

I agree Kim. The named brand power packs are silly money, especially when you can get a 38 A/h battery of Martyn for nowt!

(I'm sure he can get some 70 A/h batteries as well)

For running dew heaters, the mount and random red leds the Baz batteries are fine. What really sorts a battery out is powering a laptop as well. I'm visual only guy and I use a pocket star atlas so a Baz battery works fine for hours for me

Your'e correct, you need a decent size leisure battery to run a laptop, they take around 75 watts at 230v. If you decrease the voltage to 12v, then for the same energy input the wattage goes higher. Most sealed lead acid batteries don't like being more than half discharged, it causes problems with the plates.

A leisure battery on the other hand will take a deep draw, and be happy, just keep them topped up at least every four weeks, if they get below 11volts, you will need to revive it by a charger that's capable of pulse charging.

Some of the gel batteries are getting better priced and are very capable.

As Kim mentioned, instead of buying a Power tank, you would be better off just buying a decent battery, all you are paying for is a plastic compressor, and a Chinese battery. The trickle chargers that are supplied are just a transformer, and take donkey's ages to charge, and are not well regulated, they can damage the battery, I measured one on a mates and it was putting out 17volts.

As soon as I get back to work, I'll see if I can get hold of some more. It's a bit hit n' miss with them though.

Hi Martyn,

I haven't used my big Baz battery so far, since I don't yet have any equipment to power.

After reading your last post, I am concerned that I take proper care of this battery, and keep it in tip top condition for when I need it. Do I need to put it on charge once every 4 weeks, even if it hasn't been used? If so, for how long? I do have a multimeter, so can check the voltage if necessary.

Your recommendations would be welcome.

I'm sure everyone else with one of your batteries would appreciate your advice on care and maintenance.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest Steve

I have a leisure battery in my garage that has been left to rot for a couple of years. (Bought for camping but we discovered electric hookups). It is giving out 4-5 Volts only, and my 'clever' Halfords charger won't even attempt to do anything with it. Is there anything I can do to resurrect it, or have I let it go too far?

I think you have answered your own question Steve, RIP battery!!

A deep cycle charger might bring it back to life - but you'll need a bit of luck to go with. :)