• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

LAS meeting

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Hi, I was going to ask if anyone was going to the Leicester Astronomy Society meeting tomorrow - talk on astronomer astronauts? It would be great to meet someone from the forum, rather than sitting on my own on the couple of previous times I've gone!

n.b., shouldn't there be a LAS area in the Local Societies section???? I believe there are a few LAS members on the EMS, so it would make sense to have a discussion area. Might even attract some more Leicester based interest....

Edited by Steve

I have been to one meeting with Kim and gave my email details to the organiser or them to add me to mailing list but never received anything from them. Have not been since-that Is mainly due to the fact that it is on a tuesday and I normally have to work late (in Nottingham) on a Tuesday. after July I may try and get down there again. Gotta see how things pan out.

Guest Steve

I went once and have been on the email list ever since, so I could post announcements if anyone was interested... if we had a LAS section in the forum!

But I agree, the welcome wasn't great, which is why I was checking out if any of you friendly EMS people were going...

They're actually quite a friendly bunch but in a different way to EMS. They're a bit more academic than us Steve, whereas we have a more practical and social style to our group. The talks are very interesting and Dr Anne does a great job keeping the society going and I found that after I'd made a fair bit of effort to get to know a few of them they're actually very welcoming.

If I get home at a reasonable time tomorrow and don't have a forgetful "senior moment" I'll pop down for tomorrows meeting :)

I'd just like to re-iterate that I was not implying that I wasn't welcomed by LAS. The one meeting I have been to I found very informative and interesting. I would have liked to have stayed for chat however my 200p had arrived that night so I was anxious to get back and put it together :o).

I'm am unsure as to whether I can go now anyway as the lady said she would email me the subscription form and to bring the money to the next meeting however as I mentioned I have not received any emails, I don't want to tread on ties by going to meetings I haven't paid for :)

Am totally gutted I missed the Nik Symanek talk though. A good friend of mine went to school with him and played in a band with him also.

Guest Steve

OK, I went to the meeting and very interesting it was too. I spoke to Anne and have her permission to forward on any of the LAS circulated info onto the EMS, and I am happy to take on the responsibility.

If there are no objections I would formally like to request that a Leicester Astronomy Society section be added to the Local Societies, Clubs and Observing Groups. Who makes that decision???

Sorry Steve - had to work late and the traffic outa Brum was a nightmare tonight - vehicle fire on the Aston Expressway and tunnels blocked up skewered all chances of getting home in time. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Guest Steve

No problem Kim - I had a bad commute as well. There was a pile up of washing on the stairs and a bulb has gone on the landing!