Not feeling Christmassy? There's a 'humbug' skin too. ūüôā

• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Tweedledee

Liquid water on Mars!

Craig

This is not new news:

WaterOnMars2_gcc.jpg?raw=1

ūüėĄ

Being serious, it is an amazing discovery though. While not definitive evidence of life on Mars, the prospects just increased dramatically.

Tweedledee

Yes, this news has been a few years in the making, but they now seem pretty sure that this is actually what they've been detecting.

We now want to know¬†if¬†anything is swimming in this water. Apparently there are similar salty underground pools at subzero temperatures in Antarctica¬†that are teeming with terrestrial¬† life. I think it is very exciting stuff.¬†‚ėļÔłŹ

Craig
3 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Yes, this news has been a few years in the making, but they now seem pretty sure that this is actually what they've been detecting.

I was actually only intending a bit of satire for the image, but it is a truly remarkable find.

Tweedledee
14 minutes ago, Craig said:

I was actually only intending a bit of satire for the image, but it is a truly remarkable find.

Looks like the french discovered and photographed¬†it¬†first then - BARRE D'ENERGIE.¬†ūüėČ

It certainly gives us much more hope for the really big announcement of life on Mars. That would really make the news.

Smithysteve

I agree Pete it is exciting amazing stuff! This lake is quite deep below the surface.. it will be a huge challenge to check it out. Maybe there are other easier targets in the polar regions... i hope they crack on and investigate soon as possible...!

i just had a wander outside and had a lingering naked eye look at our close neighbor, it is shining brightly, is very red and looks tantalisingly close...

Edited by Smithysteve

Tweedledee

The other thing about this discovery is, that¬†if the water can be reached, it would help sustain humans there, could be converted to oxygen and even hydrogen fuel.¬†ūüôā

Ibbo

So how does liquid water happen on Mars with reduced atmospheric pressure so it must be fairy soupy stuff - or is my chemology that addled after all these years ??