• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cases

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

So my C9.25 and CGEM will be arriving soon. Any suggestion for how to package them for car journeys etc? I see some lovely cases... but crazy money. I've over-spent on the scope, so are there good budget options?

Thanks

Steve

I just lay a couple of soft pillows across the back seat of the car and strap it down with all 3 seat belts.

Can't get much cheaper than that! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steve

Anyone used anything like this?

586677174ac38f804d9da0491f07280c.jpg

• Dimensions (cm): 75.9 x 47 x 48.6
  • Net weight: 9.3kg

£55 delivered.

I'm thinking maybe 2 of these would take the OTA, the mount, and a whole heap of accessories.

Not cheap.... but better than the Celestron box retailing at £419!!!

Or is it overkill and I would do as well to keep on using the original cardboard boxes?

In original box and on the Back seat on a blanket for me but a nice box would be nice

Guest Steve

Ignored wisdom and splashed some cash. The way I see it is I spent big money on kit, so I don't want it kicking around the house in cardboard boxes and rolling around the boot. :o

So I have 2 cases:

At the back is the Stanley 24 Gallon rolling chest. This is huge enough to swallow the C9.25, and even has room to keep the removable tray which provides a handy home for bits and pieces.

The second box is a smaller Jumbo Roller Toolbox off eBay, which will swallow the CGEM nicely with some room to spare.

I need to line these with foam and separators, but I think I'll do well to save the original boxes and foam as they are!

Great stuff Steve - be dead useful for transporting around to star parties and to/from the dark sites :)

Guest Fluke

Got this one today...

/>http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=044390

All packed up now ready for Sawley tonight :)