• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

OAG woes!

RonC

Having bought a ZWO OAG to use with my MN190, I decided to try it out on the ED80 as it was a clear night (rare!). I set it up during daylight and measured the distances on the main SVX-H9 cam and the QSY guide cam. As darkness fell I did my usual set routine (using WiFi) and all was OK. Fitted the imaging train and focused the main cam on Altair. Guide cam was way off and I couldn't reach the adjuster screw so I turned it with the guide cam on the top. Loosened the screw without holding the guide cam and bang down it went onto the OAG prism holder. At least I'm sure that's the reason? I could not get PHD to calibrate, it went to West 28+. I took the guide cam off and screwed it back onto the usual finder/guider I use and got the same result and the 'stars' were in the same place but no calibration!!

So after another cheap guide cam now in time for Kelling!! 

See below, but I'm still not 100% sure that's what caused it! Anyway will test it again tonight!

OAG3.jpg.12ece546e98fc3ae57f82523d80f236c.jpgOAG1.jpg.364eda18eb0e1c761be9aa9765096b8f.jpgOAG2.jpg.a8516480c2b380308bf82b2f0594e9cb.jpg 

Not sure what has gone wrong there.

To me it looks like you have chewed up the foam surrounding the chip .

Can you get an image out of it?

If so try again setting up on a distant TV aerial or tree in daylight.

set up the OAG prism by eye looking down the end so as the prism is on the long side of the main chip and it does not overlap the chip.

fit o the scope.

First focus the main cam using the scope focuser as normal and mak the draw tube with the pencil i mentioned.

Then focus the guide again with the main focuser and agin mark the draw tube with a pencil.

measure the distance between the marks and that gives a rough idea of the spacer you need to add or if lucky the amount you need to adjust the guide cam focus if there is enough travel.

Edited by Ibbo

Thanks Steve, getting a sort of image from the cam but will have to wait for another clear night. I haven't really got any far away objects I can focus with which is a PITA but I've ordered a cheap QHY replacement just in case with Kelling only a couple of weeks away!

Thanks

Ron

Moon is also not a bad object as its nice and bright and relitively easy to find failing that try a rich part of the MW or a cluster