• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron C 4.5

AndyPandy

Hi all, i am a complete novice i have always been interested in our Solar system, today i have purchased my first telescope a used  Celestron C 4.5",  it has been stored for a good few years but looks complete. like i said i am a complete novice i have found on line a manual and just started read it. The scope cost me £40 with a 28day return if i am not happy ie broken damaged etc.

What should i be checking before i start cleaning of the dust ?

Thanks

Andrew

Barrow upon Soar

Hi Andy and welcome to EMS. ?

Nice little starter scope you have there for a nice price. If you want to pop over to Groby with it sometime, we can look it over and I'll give you some pointers and help get it working with you. Drop me a pm with your contact details and we can arrange it. ?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your first scope, nice little started scope you have there.

If you have found the manual, first off I would check it is complete, then check all the moving parts work as they should, quite difficult to explain over text what it should / should not do but we can try.

Kims offer is a good one, Kim has helped many a newbie get started so I would take him up on that, just seeing something being done is far easier to understand then be told via text.

Your also not too far from one of our dark sites at Wymeswold, keep an eye on the announcements section for our next meet and pop along and say hi, we are a friendly bunch, and ocasionally we have cake!

Any other questions fire away and we will be happy to help.

All the best,

Daz.

Hi all, i have taken up Kims kind offer to set up the scope & give me a few pointers Thanks Kim, i will look out for next  Wymeswold Dark site meet thanks Daz.

Best Regards

Andy

Welcome Andrew, and good luck with your new scope.

You probably already have some astro software, but if not i can recommend

Sky Safari for your phone / tablet.

There also the likes of Stellarium for your computer which is a free download i believe.

I personally much prefer Sky Safari. I use the 'Plus' version which costs £7 or £8

Hopefully we will see you at one of our dark sites sometime.....?

Welcome to EMS Andrew. ?

You have definitely found the right place to help you get the most out of your hobby. ?

• Like 1

Hi Andrew. Welcome aboard. Hope you have good luck and clear skies with your new scope. Of course you do realise a new scope comes with weeks of cloud?

Hi Andy, a belated but warm welcome to the forum. You bagged a bargain there, it will show you a good few objects that will and should keep you busy for a while. Feel free to ask any questions you have and someone will be a long to help out. 

Now the nights are beginning to draw in again, we should get a bit more gazing done. I look forward to saying hi down one of the dark sites sometime.