• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Update on the progress.

Graham

Well things have been going very slowly since my last piece on this scope.

I had a viral infection in my ears which knocked me off my feet --- literally --- I could not stand up or walk with out the aid of the nearest wall and then only very slowly.

Very surreal experience to say the least.

Up until then I had done the conversion to the drive systems so it now runs on stepper motors and is operated through EQMOD and ASCOM.

This means I can use all the normal stuff like Maxim, CDC and guide with PHD.

I had also got it properly collimated in Newtonian mode and visually the views are absolutely outstanding.

That unfortunately is where the good stuff ends.

This set up is proving impossible to balance.

Due to the very nature of the fork mount design the center of gravity constantly changes with the rotation of both axis.

This results in the stepper motors running out of grunt and stalling due to the increased load after a relatively short period of time of tracking an object.

Despite numerous attempts to cure the issue I have come to the realization that although this is an outstanding set up for visual stuff  it is a monumental piece of badly designed and engineered crap for imaging.

So as far as I see it the choices I have are this.

1 -- Keep the scope as it is and use it for visual only and set up another rig for imaging.

2 -- Design and build a purpose made mount and scope.

Me being me I have decided on the latter option.

This means I will be able incorporate the brilliant optics and the worm and pinion drive gears on the new rig but design it solely with imaging as the goal. 

I have decided to go for a very large GEM.

The decision for this is based on a couple of reasons, The space I have in the new obs and the fact that EQMOD is specifically designed for these mounts for the go-to function.

They are also extremely simple to balance.

The mount will be designed and made from the ground up. 

It will incorporate the drives from the fork mount.

Both axis will run on tapered roller bearings with a shaft diameter of 75 mm.

The new scope is also going to be totally made from scratch and will be an exoskeleton space frame design allowing me to use this existing mirror cell but keeping the overall weight down to a minimum.

I am mid design at the moment and will post up the finished item when I have it done.

In the meantime I have ordered in a new motherboard for my dead HEQ5 so at least I will be able to get back to doing some deep space imaging and scratch this ever grown itch.

Glad you're better Graham, the forum missed you!

Ok on the scope, it's a pity about the imaging though. I'm sure you'll come up with something special..

What kit are you bringing to Kelling then?

Cheers

Ron

Good to have you back online and back to full fitness Graham. ?

It's a pity the scope didn't work out for imaging, but I know you're just going to thrive on a fresh project and we'll all be thrilled to see your updates. ?

1 hour ago, Ron Clarke said:

Glad you're better Graham, the forum missed you!

Ok on the scope, it's a pity about the imaging though. I'm sure you'll come up with something special..

What kit are you bringing to Kelling then?

Cheers

Ron

Thanks Ron.

If this new board cures the HEQ 5 I will be bringing that to Kelling along with the GT81 imaging rig.

25 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Shame about that.

What happened to the English Yoke Mount idea?

Still in consideration Steve.

Unfortunately EQMOD wont do go to unless it is a gem

23 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

Good to have you back online and back to full fitness Graham. ?

It's a pity the scope didn't work out for imaging, but I know you're just going to thrive on a fresh project and we'll all be thrilled to see your updates. ?

Thanks Pete.

Such is life ?

Nice to see you back on your feet Graham , and i will look forward to your upcoming project posts im sure it will be an interesting thread ?

• 2 weeks later...

How’s the blueprint for your new scope coming on Graham , I’m expecting you to say it’s just got to be powder coated ?

The design concept is now complete. 

Well it is in my head. 

Just got to draw it up. 

There is no panic now as I decided I could not go on without the capacity to do my imaging so I have treated myself to a nice new shiny Az Eq6 

Everything else will now happen at my leisure. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Graham said:

The design concept is now complete. 

Well it is in my head. 

Just got to draw it up. 

There is no panic now as I decided I could not go on without the capacity to do my imaging so I have treated myself to a nice new shiny Az Eq6 

Everything else will now happen at my leisure. 

Very nice treat ? you’ve earned it Graham