• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1st time observing the sun

I bought some Baader Solar film from DN18 last night at the North Lincs Astro Club meet so as soon as I got home from work tonight, I set about making a solar filter for the Skymax 150.

The A4 sheet was just wide enough for a 6" apperture.

So I had my first go at solar observation tonight between the clouds. The sun's disk just fiited in the field of veiw of the 2" 28mm EP that came with the scope. Amazing detail on the group of sunspots that were most prominent.

Really pleased with the filter film, thanks Nigel.

Souns good Paul. Looks like you are getting ready for the transit in June. I know the film shows the disc in white light but could you see any other detail other than the Sunspots?

Yes, I'm preparing for the Venus transit.

The sunspots themselves had a lot of detail with the dark umbra and the penumbra. Bright spots were visible and there was a hint of the granular texture of the surface.

The image was really crisp. Just holding the filter to my eyes showed the larger sunspots.

Sounds amazing. I purchased some baader film myself and am just waiting for delivery. I have always wanted to observe the Sun but have just never got around to doing it. If what you have seen is anything to go by then i should be in for a treat.

Here's a couple of pictures I took through the eyepiece, the second had some cloud passing over the sun.

DSCF2363.jpg

DSCF2366.jpg

They look great, nice detail in the Sunspots. Were these taken with a webcam or normal camera or phone?

I used the Mrs's cheap compact camera held to the eyepiece. The view at the eyepiece was better.

Still a good result though and a great example of what can be acheived with the solar film. I would immagine that you would get pretty good resolution with the Mak if you are using a full apperture mask too.

Nice photos there, might have to get myself some film now and join the "sun" club - :D

Edited by Daz type-r

Still a good result though and a great example of what can be acheived with the solar film. I would immagine that you would get pretty good resolution with the Mak if you are using a full apperture mask too.

The A4 sheet is just wide enough to make a full aperture filter for the 6" Mak.

Interesting, thanks very much - I do like a bit of DIY!

There are written instructions included, the links shows it in pictures.

Basically you sandwich the film between two cardboard rings which is attached to a tube made to fit snuggly on the OTA, simples :)

Guest DN18

Excellent images Paul

Got another 20 sheets due in tomorrow. They,re selling pretty quick

More and more people are now enjoying daytime astronomy

Looks like its going to be sunny tomorrow evening, looking forward to having another go

Excellent images Paul

Got another 20 sheets due in tomorrow. They,re selling pretty quick

More and more people are now enjoying daytime astronomy

Thats because the weather is sooo rubbish lately.

Once I have my dew requirements sorted think I will have some off you.

Guest Fluke

If anyone has any spare from their project I need enough for me to make a filter for my 50mm finder scope?

Will contribute a few quid obviously, thanks :)

Was my first time observing the Sun today too. Got my Baader film delivered this morning. When i finished work i set about making the filter. It ain`t the prettiest thing i have seen but it works a treat. The detail visible in the big Sunspot group almost in the middle of the disc of the Sun was astounding. Unfortunately there was a lot of cloud so just getting a few peeks buring breaks in the cloud. Just waiting for a better day to do some more. :)

Glad you enjoyed your first look at the sun as I did.

My filter isn't very pretty either.

Me too Ron. I recall seeing your pics when you first got your solar film, very nice. Just Dave to go now.