• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Winterized Obs Shed

Alec

As the weather has not been that good recently, I've taken the time to add a few bits of hardware and insulate the obs shed to keep me warm in winter. Added 40mm thick insulating foam to the walls and finished off with insulating bubble wrap film. Added a small oil filled radiator on a thermostat and just need to finish a little trunking for cables. For a internet connection added a wifi dongle to the hub on the scope mount and have a 100% strong connection. I've also taken the plunge and added a auto focus unit and inteIMG_3587.JPG.d71eba48bba84210eedfe45478c09310.JPGIMG_3588.JPG.c2348a2c38bd09fedecf6a7f3761c412.JPGIMG_3589.JPG.9c0bca3b492901d1bd8b16ac007f01aa.JPGIMG_3582.JPG.d330ead70762c23ff6a6e1ffd93782ba.JPGIMG_3591.JPG.3b5ba16cefb72b5d0297007ad7563491.JPGgrates perfectly through either Maxlm DL6, Backyard EOS or Sequence Generator Pro.  

Sure is should allow me to brave the elements. I'm going to add a webcam so I can see the scope slewing have to be a little careful as with the door shut and mount pointing east I could potentially clobber the back of the scope if I open the door!!!!!

Nice work, just a thought (having done this last year myself), your laptop will shine all around the shed! Check it one night before you start imaging, I clad mine in a breathable membrane and 3mm MDF/ply. 

Cheers

Ron

hi Alec,

can iask where did you get the focuser unit and brackets from ? looking for something for my william optics gt81, looks smart

Hi 

the web link is https://deepskydad.com/autofocuser

the custom unit is 149 Euros and you will have to take some measurements so that a custom mounting bracket can be 3D printed. You will need a power supply and mini usb cable details are on the web site.

Pavle is an engineer and astronomer, I’ve had quite a bit of correspondence with him a really nice guy! Delivery was prompt and he even sent me pictures of the parts as he printed them.

• Like 2