• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello there!

Shane04

Hey everyone. 

Asked on Facebook about meets and the sort and was sent here. 

I'm an absolute beginner at all this so I really am sorry if I ask stupid questions. O used to have a telescope when I was a lot younger but nothing too serious. Argos special I think. 

It's my birthday soon, and I was thinking of getting a more serious scope. I have no idea what I want it to do let alone what I want to do with it. Any advice is gladly received. 

My budget is £150-200 mark. I was thinking this budget (whilst it may seem low, is actually quite a big chunk)  I'll have to go second hand. 

Anyway. Hopefully see some of you at the next meet.

Thanks. 

Hi Shane, me again (I was the chap trying to help on Facebook).

Glad you found us, check out the meets section for dates and info ETC.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

scope really depends on what you want to do?  Visual astronomy or imaging.   Would suggest visual to start with as the imaging lark is quite expensive.  I should know my credit cards groan a lot and die a terrible death  ?

most visual folks start with a dob  (dobsonian)  i will have to let better folks than me advise on that sort of scope.  As an imager I

dont know a lot about it.  Someone will be along to advise.

But welcome to the asylum of EMS ?  Nice to have you join us

Hi Shane. Welcome to EMS! Lots of advice to be had here. The best thing is to attend one of our meets and have a gander. Scope-wise, a 6 inch dobsonian maybe a good idea. But sometimes a half decent pair of binoculars may be an idea until you have an idea what you want out of this amazing (and potentially costly) hobby. 

6 inch dobsonian price and info

Edited by newtyng5

Hi Shane, a warm welcome to the forum.

I can only echo the above comments. Personally I would suggest you get to one of the meets, have a chat about what would suit your needs before spending any money at all. That way we can be on the look out for a scope that would suit you and your budget. I have been there and spent a lot of money on what was in reality a chocolate teapot. The binoculars are a good shout, they can give you loads more to look at and for and are also useful as getting yourself into the right area when you have a scope. 

If you haven't already got it, download Stellarium, it's a great free program and a few quid for the app.

http://stellarium.org/

and a users guide.

http://stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I've got a pair of 10x50 binos and was absolutely amazed at what I could see with just those. They're quite an oldish pair though. They do the job, last night.inwas able to make your the craters on the moon. Which I think is absolutely amazing. But the image was a doubled so I had to close one eye. 

Any suggestions on a half decent pair? 

I think before I invest my birthday/ Christmas money I'll definitely come to a few meets. If that's ok. 

Thanks again. 

Welcome to EMS Shane. ?

Usually there's nothing wrong with old binoculars and your 10x50s are the perfect size to start off with. ?

You'll get lots of good advice on this forum. Just don't rush to buy a scope before you've learnt a bit more by looking through other people's equipment and discussing things further.

Welcome aboard Shane. As above, get yourself to one of our meets and have a look at, and through some kit. First visit is free and then if you like us, you can become a darksite member which allows you to use our two darksites as and when you want to.

Most of my kit is/was second hand, but don't go looking on ebay unless you know what your looking at. Astro buy and sell is a good place to look and tends to be astronomers selling their used kit so has usually been looked after. A dob is probably a good place to start. My 10" was £250 second hand.

It sounds like your bins are out of collimation (not lined up), hence giving a double image. You could maybe collimate them if your brave. My cheap ones have done this to me and I'll be looking for a new pair in good time.

Anyway, enjoy the forum, remember we were all beginners once and no question is to silly or small. There are lots of useful guides in the begginers section to keep you going.

Ad Astra

Edited by tuckstar

Don’t be in a rush to buy a telescope, do plenty of research, ask on here for advice on stuff you are considering buying. Cheers! ?

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have just joined and are interested in the dark site membership.. How do I arrange a free visit. Thanks

We normally have one meeting a month at either Wymeswold or Belper, this is pre arranged by the admin team. The info regarding this will appear on the fiorum.

Also any darksite member can call an adhoc meeting if the weather looks clear. The person who calls it normally puts a thread up in the forum and if anyone else wants to go a long they can.

It's best to keep looking at the forum and any meets will appear under the information sub forum.