We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Ellis

Hi...

Andy Ellis

Just a quick hi to everyone...

I've been an astronomer/ astroimager for around twenty years.  I'm pretty knowledgeable on Canon dSLRs (what I do for a living) and I've had all sorts of scopes and set ups down the years - everything from a 70mm £50 Lidl Skylux refractor on a basic EQ mount, up to this...

helpcanon11.jpg

...though my current setup is far more modest and portable.

Andy

Alec

Hi Andy 

you found us!!!! Thank you for the quick turn round on my EOS. Looks  like I might get a few hours to play with it tonight.

Welcome to the forum.

Alec 

MeadeUser

Hi Andy...I am new here too

Would you be the guy from Astronomiser, I think you modded my canon camera a few years back, or am I mistaken..

Anyway welcome.. ?

Brantuk

Hi Andy and welcome to EMS. ?

You modded my SPC900 years ago with the SC1.5 mod (cooling fan, new chip, amp off, etc). It's great to see you here on our forum - and maybe along to a few meetings too hopefully. Enjoy!

tuckstar

Hi Andy, welcome aboard. I've got a feeling you might be getting more questions than answers on here!! Enjoy the forum and shout if you need anything.

Ad Astra.

Daz Type-R

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

While I will probably never need your services (due to being a dirty visual monkey ? ) I would lie to thank you for your services to the hobby, I see a few of our members have passed kit your way, so its good to have you on board.

Shout up if you need anything and in the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

Bino-viewer

Hi Andy,

Welcome along. I think i was in touch with you a couple of years ago regarding a Canon mod,

but on that occasion it was a no can do.....?

Thats a nice looking set up you have there......would that be an Russian ?? built Mak-Newt by any chance ??

BAZ

Hi Andy, a warm welcome to the forum. Have a look round and make yourself at home. I look forward to meeting you sometime, I am a dirty little visual gremlin too but appreciate the effort imagers make.

Tweedledee

Welcome to EMS Andy. ?

Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

Edited by Tweedledee

Andy Ellis

Thanks to all for the warm welcome ?

In answer to a few of the questions, yes I am Andy from astronomiser and in the last thirteen or so years I've modded around 3000 Canon dSLRs as well as made all sorts of SC modified webcams.  I was lucky enough to get involved in astronomy when dSLR mods were first being developed and I helped develop a lot of the mods for webcams as well.

The scopes in the image are (indeed) a Russian Mak-newt - an Intes Micro MN76 - a real workhorse and great imaging scope, the piggybacked scope is a SkyWatcher Equinox 80, all mounted on a SynScan EQ-6 on a 200lb steel pillar secured to a 3 tonne concrete block over which is a floating floor in a 12' x 6' converted shed with a roll off roof.  The imaging cam is a 350D (I think - this was a few years ago and I've had every canon dSLR camera there is at one time or another) and the guider is an ICX618ALA re-chipped toucam pro II with LX and amp-off.

I mainly stick to visual myself these days.

Andy