• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

the next evening with EMS ?

cosmic dave

Hi guys, do u think we would be able to hold the next evening with ems in the newark area ? It would make life loads easier for those of us stuck out in the wilds and it would be great to meet you guys,

Hi David.

While I am not in charge or have no final say on these matters, the only down side I see to this is the lack of somewhere to go.

While I know the two darksite locations are not ideal for everyone, they are "our" darksites and we can use them when ever we want.

I don't suppose we can just ruck up in some farmers field somewhere, I`m assuming we would have to get permission or pay some rent or something (??????)

Also, the Belper site does have a building we can use, so if the weather is pants, at least we can stay warm, dry and have a sit down and a brew.

If you know of somewhere we could meet that has these facilitys then great, let the mods and admins know, I wouldn't mind where we go, and it would be good to meet a few more people.

I probably could get the use of a field nr beckingham (just east of newark) I'm just flying a kite really to see what people think.

I probably could get the use of a field nr beckingham (just east of newark) I'm just flying a kite really to see what people think.

Is that any where near the training camp?

I like the idea Dave but I think the logistics behind this will be pretty difficult. Our meetings at the cricket club draw a substansial crowd now, at one of them we had over 25 members turn up.

I'll speak it over with the other mods and see what we come up with.

Guest Tweedledum

Newark is good for me! nearer than cc or Sawley...

Perhaps the other way round?? If you ELAC chaps can organise your regular meeting near Newark see how many of the EMS folk can make it??. You know that area better than us, maybe a meet & greet at a pub as the weather has been foul :D

Cheers

I have a cunning plan!

With respect to Doc, I'll post in the mods section to start with, as it is just a thought at the moment.

If this moves forward, it will be posted for all, as either somewhere to meet, or me just being my usual over optimistic self.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Martyn,

With greatest respect, it should not be the moderators who decide where and when we meet!

The moderators are here to protect, defend and nurture the site.

Cheers.

Damian just bear with us for a while, this is a little bit bigger then just a local meet.

As soon as we know a little more, we will post it on the general forum for all to discuss.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Doc,

Ok, but I would not want this to go the same way as the last two xmas do's, where circulation was not even made to all the dark site members. :) .

Cheers.

Iam sorry that you feel the way you do Damian, but let me assure you that nothing is being planned that every member would not be able to attend. I have to be a bit careful, as this has implications with the company I work for.

If this is a goer, it will be a decision every member of this forum will have the right to voice an opinion on. We take great care to try and make sure that this a site is as democratic as possible.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Martyn,Doc (did not wnat to do it other way round!),

Folks, this is the most inclusive forum I have seen,, so i'll shut up!.....

Cheers

Do we have any Newark (or local too) EMS members? I'm 15 miles from Newark?

Belper is about the same distance as Gibralter Point for me!

Is that any where near the training camp?

Yes.

It will be interesting to see what happens, Im glad I asked the question now.

If this gets off the ground it will be more of a "special event" than a regular club night and may likely include the public and/or local TV cameras. It could be a great chance for EMS to excel - so I'm very glad you asked the question too - lets see how it pans out :)

i`d be up for a run out to Newark if i`m not at work, would be a great chance to meet up, still looking forward to hopefully attending the venus transit with you guys over there

Anywhere the EMS decdides to meet is ok with me. I just like the opportunity to meet up and put faces to names and learn a few more tips from you seasoned pros :)

i`d be up for a run out to Newark if i`m not at work, would be a great chance to meet up, still looking forward to hopefully attending the venus transit with you guys over there

See you at anderby (weather permitting) Rob I will probably be there all night.

I'll do a trip to Newark. I think maybe an annual meet for the whole of the group may work so as not to have value for money implications on our local dark sites.

Guest Fluke

Im up for a meet at Newark too. Im originally from their and can recommend Zizzi's by the river & across the road from the castle for top grub (if you dont mind italian) :)

Guest Fluke
Great place Zizzi's, enjoyed a few Pizza's there!!!

Certainly is, and if you look around they usually have vouchers you can print off to make it a bit cheaper too :)

Do they do deliverys, and if so, do you think they would deliver to a field at midnight?