• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Flats question

Bottletopburly

Right the power supply for the EL panel arrived and seems to work ok so just a picture frame to make for it to hang on the scope , when taking flats is it best to lock the mirror up or does it not matter, another question whilst mentioning mirror lock is it best to lock the mirror when imaging ? I do have a LP filter in the adapter and a Baader cc so no dust can get to the sensor . 

So my power supply came for the EL Panel to take Flat frames ,  all lights up but I noticed  there’s a small blemish in the central area of the panel will this matter  or should I return it change and also  the lines from the refresh rate not visible to the eye only camera ‘‘this picture was taken on my iPhone not via camera /telescope is this normal  .

45073372552_8933d68b04_b.jpg

The blemish will be so far out of focus you won't see it.  My panel actually looks grainy to the eye, but is even to the camera

The stripes look like strobing effects - you can speed up or slow down the panel's refresh rate to get rid of them.

6 hours ago, bryand said:

The blemish will be so far out of focus you won't see it.  My panel actually looks grainy to the eye, but is even to the camera

The stripes look like strobing effects - you can speed up or slow down the panel's refresh rate to get rid of them.

Thanks @bryand my power supply is fixed  I just have an on /button how do you alter the refresh rate ?

This is a single image.

The strobe effect should not show up on your flats as you will be taking loads of subs and stacking them into a master flat.

Try taking 51 flats with your imaging rig and then stack them.

Edited by Graham

With regards to using the mirror lock I would use it.

Mirror lock is used to stop any vibration caused by the mirror moving prior to the image being taken.

On my 350 I actually removed the mirror completely.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

This is a single image.

The strobe effect should not show up on your flats as you will be taking loads of subs and stacking them into a master flat.

Try taking 51 flats with your imaging rig and then stack them.

38 minutes ago, Graham said:

With regards to using the mirror lock I would use it.

Mirror lock is used to stop any vibration caused by the mirror moving prior to the image being taken.

On my 350 I actually removed the mirror completely.

Thanks Graham very helpful  ?

Frosted plastic came this week so mackled together ,though yard brush is a bit smaller , frosted plastic smoothed out the graininess of the panel , will take some flats when I get a minute to check but I think it will be fine . 

Flats panel