• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stellariumscope

Teslar

Well I set to work with objective of getting this to work on my HEQ6 tonight and I might get some viewing in as well :))

I'd say Stellarium is a must, and linked to a mount is excellent. I don't link it to my mount but I saw Red Dwalf using it a Kelling and SGL6 very well.

That looks awesome, never seen Stelarium control a scope before (I knew it could) though.

Need a decent mount!

Have to say I'm well impressed. The stellariumscope utility really works well. Only problem is the sky is to patchy outside. Stars are only out randomly as the clouds scud about. Such is the life of an amateur astronomer :))

I'm sure it won't be long before you have clear skies. I have family in Elgin so am up a fair bit, the skies in Elgin are fantastic so I know you do get some good nights!

i used it in the field for the first time at sgl 7 and it works very well, the biggest problem is the data in eqmod and stellarium need to be the same. otherwise stellarium and the coordinates in eqmod will be thinking they are looking at different points in the sky and you`ll have trouble finding stuff

Stellarium drives my CPC very nicely in alt/az mode - not tried EQ mode yet but no reason to believe it won't work. I've also had it drive a CG5GT Goto with no probs. I have yet to try it on the NEQ6 Pro but others have, and they say it's fine. Not bad for a free bit of software :)

• 1 year later...
Guest sharpie78

Hi guys, sorry to hijack your stellariumscope thread but I have a quick question......If I have Stellarium v 0.12.4 installed to I still need to install the stellariumscope add on ? There's already a section in plug-ins for telescope control.

cheers in advance

Jack

Yup - Cartes du Ciel is a cracking bit of software with more of an emphasis on the techie side than the flashy front end side that Stellarium provides. And it has all the same functionality for controlling telescope mounts too. It's free so deffo worth downloading and trying out to see how you get on with it :)

I use skymap pro to run my setups, works nicely with nexremote and the heq5 direct. It has a very accurate synch function and its just so cool to click on an object and watch the scope slew

I sometimes hookup the neq6 to stellarium and I agree Phil it is cool to watch the scope fly across the screen toward the object. Being a bit if a marvel/DC geek when I was younger (well more than now!) I did one night rename the scope on stellarium to superman and watch it fly across the screen much to my amusement :D

Whats even cooler is using the wirelss gamepad for manual controls, nexremote did this way before eqmod was a twinkle in someones eye and ive been using it for years. Lets face itvwe are just geeks getting kicks out of this stuff :-)

Guest sharpie78

Nowt wrong with being a geek. They say it's the new cool !!  B)

I've had my HEQ5 connected to stellarium via serial cable already and that was ok but I'm looking forward to getting my EQ MOD up and running. Have installed stellariumscope so will soon have more control........with the gamepad too......simple pleasures :-)

Guest sharpie78

Had the first night with my eq mod over the weekend. worked very well with stellarium once i'd installed stellariumscope. thanks for your help guys :-)