• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bolide fireball Saturday 10th Nov 2018 at 05:07:02 GMT

Fabulous capture! ? 

The Southern and Northern Taurids (peaking on 5/6th and 12/13th respectively) and are renowned for slow meteors - and the odd fireball! So it may have been a sporadic or more likely a Taurid.

It would have been a real wow if you had seen live! ?

Derek has just made East Midlands Today's weather forecast, prime spot no less! Will you still speak to us when you are famous Derek? ?

Great capture Derek ! ?

Thats a beauty ?

Have you notified the meteor bods at the BAA ?

Edited by Bino-viewer

Thanks.  It reached the BBC News website.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-leicestershire-46184642/fireball-caught-on-camera-in-loughborough?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR0JvrpOAM4VqNaXcOMR3Mc8CXCE4gmMbzqOsaPGS0_-aJEEe0HsM6I0310

It was captured by a few other cameras so there should be enough data to triangulate it and work out ground track, and a potential area where it could have come down, if any fragments survived that is.  Early indications suggest a ground track in the SW, ending possibly Martock but I'm waiting to hear more news.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Great capture Derek ! ?

Thats a beauty ?

Have you notified the meteor bods at the BAA ?

Yes. Working on it.

What sort of camera is it? I catch a few while snapping constellations but never anything like that.

I've thought of trying a dashcam but they are quite expensive.

I just caught it on the BBC and thought that it looked like it was Derek's capture that they showed.

Well done getting on the news Derek. ?

33 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

What sort of camera is it? I catch a few while snapping constellations but never anything like that.

I've thought of trying a dashcam but they are quite expensive.

It's a Watec 902H2 S video camera (used ~£70) - new would be possibly £300-350?) with a 6 mm Cosmicar lens housed in a CCTV box.  It has an internal heater to prevent dewing or freezing of the front glass plate.  Power and Coax cables run into the house connected to a dedicated PC (Windows 7) which runs dusk till dawn, camera power managed by a digital timer, which needs to be tweaked to take account of the changing daylight time [camera power to the sensor must be off when the sun is up or it will be damaged).  The camera is quite light sensitive and can get down to magnitudes about 2-3 I think.  The magnitude of that fireball was about -8 according to the software that was used to analyse it. It may have been brighter in certain parts of the ablation trail.  I have thought of a dashcam just for the car (for night meteors), but don't know if they are any good for anything other than a fireball.  That's a good point - I have an ordinary webcam permanently on the window looking out at the garden, connected to a PC which uses iVideo (free) software, triggered by movement, to keep an eye on the garden. But the images are black at night.  You've just reminded me that the webcam might have picked up the bolide.  I must look in the archive of footage that build up - thanks.

• Like 1