• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focusing SPC900

catman161

Can anyone tell me how to get focus with the SPC900 webcam when targeting a planet like saturn?

For Saturn i use the Cassini division, as you slowly go in and out of focus it becomes visible, it works ok for me.

Edited by oldfruit

Right I watched a shed load of video tutorials and set everything up. I set my 200P to look at Saturn and I removed the EP and replaced it with the SPC900 and eventually managed to get Saturn into view on sharp cap on my laptop. It looked like a big fuzzy donut so I thought "no problem I'll just adjust the focus until it looks like Saturn" but alas I kept turning my focuser until the draw tube was as far as it would go into the OTA and yet I was still out of focus!

What can I do to rectify this? Do I have to buy a longer draw tube and install that?Is there a way to extend my existing draw tube to get the extra few centimetres needed to gain focus? Help me please! I was so looking forward to gettin a few Avis of Saturn and having a go in registax :(

Edited by catman161

No I wasn't Ron. I may have to try that, of course I will have to get one first!!

Hi Felix. Did you have the gain or exposure setting too high as this will even make a focused image look blurry. Once you have your target on screen reduce the gain setting and also the exposure setting if needed until the image is dimmer but still easily visible and then try to focus slowly.

Also as Ron says, a barlow will increase the size of your target and should help a lot.

I`m no expert but it seems to work ok for me. ;)

Yeah I tried changing the gain and exposure but to no avail. I do think that the draw tube is just too short. I will give it another go when it's clear then look into getting a powermate. Thanks.

Edited by catman161

You'll need a 50mm spacer to use the SPC900 and get focus where the EP had it or use a Barlow to give you effective distance and FOV. If I'm not wanting the barlow I use an old SW Barlow with the lens removed and that gives me the ability to reach focus