• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Looking Back on Old Shots

I was watcihing some of my old astronomy videos and had mixed feelings. Some of them just did not look good on a 48" telly. Many of them I remember taking under rather difficult conditions but still looked averagish. I remember my "epic" Beehive (M44) of April 2009 taken with an ST80 and compact digital camera. Although it looked good at the time, I have taken many far better ones since with my DSLR.

However, some of my shots, especially of the Moon and constellations made me think "Did I really take that?"

I guess most of us feel the same. I'm certainly no expert but, generally, I'm amazed by what us amateur astronomers are capable of doing. I have shown many amateur shots (including some of mine) to non-astronomers and they think they were taken from spacecraft.

As a group of people, I think we can be proud of what we've done. 

Edited by Sunny Phil
MisTyype

6 hours ago, Sunny Phil said:

As a group of people, I think we can be proud of what we've done. 

I agree Phil, there are some absolutely amazing images posted by EMS'ers on a regular basis. ?

Show us your 2009 M44 Phil. It will definitely be something I will aspire to. ??

17 minutes ago, Tweedledee said:

I agree Phil, there are some absolutely amazing images posted by EMS'ers on a regular basis. ?

Show us your 2009 M44 Phil. It will definitely be something I will aspire to. ??

Here's the 2009 version:

BeehiveY09AprD25

Here's the 2016 version. Yes, I know how to fix it but I'm hoping for another bite of the cherry this winter.

M44Y16MarD07

1 minute ago, Tweedledee said:

There are a lot more bees in 2016. ?

Not only do I have a better bee detector but I now know how to stack multiple layers in a hive.

15 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

Not only do I have a better bee detector but I now know how to stack multiple layers in a hive.

And no varroa mites. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

I’m always amazed Phil by amateur astronomers work  you only have to look on Flickr , joe blogs by day awesome astronomers by night ?