• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

powered usd hub

red dwalf

hi all,

does anyone know of a powered usb hub that can be bought for a reasonable price and that can be powered from a 12v car type battery ?

i wish to use one to plug all my usb items into at the mount and then use one usb cable to my laptop to control them all. i`m looking for something like the hitecastro mount hub pro http://www.modernastronomy.com/mounts.htm#mounthubpro but i just need the usb hub and can`t really justify spending £245 on the hitec hub.

Guest Kheldar

I've got a D-Link DUB-H4 you can have, but you'd need to work out how to replace the supplied AC adaptor with the relevant DC cable

i was thinking of of doing something simular Steve, but wasn`t 100% if it could be done, was going to give Noel a shout to see if it could be done.

thanks for the offer of the D-Link, i may take it of you, cheers

Guest Kheldar

I'm no electrical genius so take this with a pinch of salt ... but so long as the voltage matches and the cable is rated for the draw of the device, there shouldn't be an problem.

For example I have a 7.4V step down for my old DSLR and a 20V step up for my netbook (the clever bits are built into the cigar plug.) They both run fine from 12V DC supply with these cables.

I'll check the voltage of the hub when I get home and let you check with Noel :)

Edited by Kheldar

I've got 2 different set ups that use dc powered hubs from Maplin, I can show you the part numbers. One runs off 5V and the other off 12V directly. I can show you which 12V to 5V dcdc converter to buy also.

I'd like to keep it as simple as poss, so a 12 v direct version would be great if the price is right, would there be any issues you can thino of noel, and do you have a link to the maplin ones,

Cheers