• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

So how was your astro year (2018)?

RonC

So how was your astro year then? For me in Newark on Trent it was better than 2017 but I've just been through my astro diary and found out I've only had 38 sessions plus the Kelling trip for the whole year!!

That's only 3 - 4 sessions per month!!  May was my best month and December the worst (1)!

My major change was from a DSLR to a CCD which I am still getting to grips with!!

So how was your year then ???

Cheers

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke
added text
  • Like 1

I have found that my number of sessions has been lower for the last three years, mostly due to weather. I haven't counted them but estimate that it's about 8 to 12 most months. Some of my sessions are very short ones, especially my solar ones. Some evenings, I will have multiple sessions, especially on "non-school" nights when I don't have to get up the next day.

For me, the biggest disappointment was Mars, as martian and terrestrial weather both plotted against us. I had a reasonable expectation of getting my best Mars shot ever. It's 50/50 whether I'll be alive and healthy enough for the next close opposition but the 2021 one could still be a good one. I didn't get a decent shot of Jupiter or Saturn either but did quite a nice job of capturing Jupiter's main moons.

Despite equipment difficulties, I managed to catch a few meteors, even away from the major showers. I should be back in business next year, as I have a new widefield DSLR lens.

I posted fewer shots in my gallery, as I've decided to post reasonable quality photos only and will exclude even more next year. Anything that is in focus will still be on my blog.

Off-field, 2018 was a small improvement over 2017, especially on the work front but I'm not expecting any major purchase next year.

Comet Wirtanen has been a minor disappointment but mostly because of the weather. I was still pleased to catch it with M45, my most viewed photo ever.

CometWirtanenWithPleiadesY18DecD17

well i wouldn't say i have been out loads but i have overcome a lot of hurdles over the year so hoping next year to be in a better position for imaging .

1/Pier made and installed in the garden ,all wiring through pipe to the shed 

2/ DSLR camera modded , baader CC added ,qhy miniguidescope and PA using Sharpcap 

3,Deepskydad autofocus added and autofocus using APT working a treat 

4/ EQ6 belt modded went a bit pete tong at Rother valley but @Graham saved the day to which i am eternally grateful .

5/ Guiding seems to be on the right track with the help of EMS members so a big thanks there everyone .

6/  Dithering using APT so time saved taking Darks ,and a Flats panel made and working .

7/ Platesolving using APT working a treat so finderscope not needed 

8/ 127mm mak and a 130pds added to the armoury

so hopefully clear skies ahead for the new year .

( oh and an IDAS D2 ordered so hoping that has a positive effect on images  

Edited by Bottletopburly

That's quite a lot of observing nights Ron. I've counted 14 nights out, including the 2 at WW and 2 at Belper.

Built a RocketMount and sold all my Delos eyepieces. Then bought a few Clave's to replace them.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Doc said:

That's quite a lot of observing nights Ron. I've counted 14 nights out, including the 2 at WW and 2 at Belper.

Built a RocketMount and sold all my Delos eyepieces. Then bought a few Clave's to replace them.

Do you just do long sessions? I'm sure in number of sessions I'm one of the most prolific but probably around average on total hours. That is, if you don't count stacking sessions than can last over an hour!

Yes Phil normally at least 6 hours. I really don't bother with short sessions, takes to much time to drag out all the equipment.

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Yes Phil normally at least 6 hours. I really don't bother with short sessions, takes to much time to drag out all the equipment.

I use bins a lot for short sessions and also my DSLR. Last night was clearish but I had a cold. I left my DSLR snapping on its own for over 2 hours in "meteor" mode.

• 1 month later...

It's been quite a busy year for me, on the whole. Any hint of clear skies on the  Clear Outside app and circumstances permitting, I'm out like a shot.

I know the skies aren't going anywhere anytime soon, but I can honestly say I never tire of this hobby.

I really hope to get back to some observing with my Dob at some stage and maybe get my son involved, as he's already asking questions about the stars!

My 2018 has been my worst year ever due to health reasons. ☹️

First I had several months with a stomach/bowel problem - who ever heard of a driving instructor who gets car sick! ?My doctor did various tests and a full MOT and said I seemed to be in fine health, but because I was still suffering, sent me to hospital for a camera in both ends! ?They also said there was nothing wrong with me, and the problems eventually went away.

Soon after that long drawn out episode, my nasal polyps flared up, which happens from time to time requiring surgery. I had an awful blocked nose for another few months which resulted in just 2 to 4 hours sleep per night, some depression and no energy for astronomy or anything much. I got thorougly exhausted as it was the longest bout I'd ever had.

I had a few brief periods of feeling ok, but astro wise, apart from reading a few books, I've really not been up to much in 2018. I have spent a few bob on astro kit, possibly more to try and cheer myself up a bit.

With more exercise and an improved diet, I'm determined that in 2019 I will be fitter and healthier and seeing a lot more stars. So far this year things are definitely improving all round. ?

So, thankfully nothing too serious healthwise, but it certainly put a downer on the whole year for me. I could use some very strong words about my experience of 2018, but lets just say it was an annus horribilis! ☹️

Edited by Tweedledee

21 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

My 2018 has been my worst year ever due to health reasons. ☹️

First I had several months with a stomach/bowel problem - who ever heard of a driving instructor who gets car sick! ?My doctor did various tests and a full MOT and said I seemed to be in fine health, but because I was still suffering, sent me to hospital for a camera in both ends! ?They also said there was nothing wrong with me, and the problems eventually went away.

Soon after that long drawn out episode, my nasal polyps flared up, which happens from time to time requiring surgery. I had an awful blocked nose for another few months which resulted in just 2 to 4 hours sleep per night, some depression and no energy for astronomy or anything much. I got thorougly exhausted as it was the longest bout I'd ever had.

I had a few brief periods of feeling ok, but astro wise, apart from reading a few books, I've really not been up to much in 2018. I have spent a few bob on astro kit, possibly more to try and cheer myself up a bit.

With more exercise and an improved diet, I'm determined that in 2019 I will be fitter and healthier and seeing a lot more stars. So far this year things are definitely improving all round. ?

So, thankfully nothing too serious healthwise, but it certainly put a downer on the whole year for me. I could use some very strong words about my experience of 2018, but lets just say it was an annus horribilis! ☹️

I can't "Like" this. I'm sorry to hear that and I'm on your side. Depression is an evil visitor. I haven't had a really bad episode for a while but you never know.

2018 was the Year of the Mount for me.

I bought an ES 102 mm refractor with the intention of using it for imaging, and got an iOptron CEM25P mount to put it on.  I’ve never really got a 100% Polar alignment with it and the faff of setting it up puts me off using it.  I am also exasperated by the way the scope gets rotated during tracking.

I know I can’t hold 10X50 binoculars steady enough for them to be useful.  So given that I need a tripod, why limit yourself to 10X50s?  I got a pair of 15X70s and an Orion parallelogram arm, which works well.  But pointing them accurately can be problematic – OK if you are sweeping around but not when you want to hover on a target.   So looking around I found a version of the AZ5 mount which is robust enough for both binoculars and the ES 102 refractor.

large.s_P1040187b.JPG.b75d17e120db4c90a4d55c930ad228ee.JPG

I still needed one mount which could be used with either the C9.25 SCT or the ES102 refractor.  It needed to be an Alt-Az mount because that’s the only thing that makes sense for Visual work; imaging will always be a secondary activity for me and I’m never going to have the energy to transport and set up both the equatorial and alt-az mounts for one session.  Life’s too short for that much faffing around.   Whilst there is plenty of choice if you want an equatorial mount, there isn’t as much for Alt-Az mounts, and eventually I settled for another iOptron, their AZ Mount Pro and its Tri-Pier to support it.

large.s_925.jpg.66ec1e2bd7c3e20f603aa7b11a77a2e5.jpg

The requirements for the counterweight turned out to be less stringent than expected, so my battery counterweight is all that I use, sometimes with binoculars or a Telrad on the end of the CW shaft.

Pros:

·         Compact, lightweight and well built

·         Better handset than Synta types

·         Built in Li-ion battery, GPS and WiFi.  GPS is quick to get lock and the WiFi doesn’t drop out if my iPad moves away from the mount – both better than Celestron equivalents.

·         Once levelled, alignment is quick and easy

·         Tri-Pier is hefty, but very solid (It’s rated to take my weight!)

·         Excellent support from Altair Astro

Cons:

·         Expensive, and delivery of back-ordered items can be slow.

·         You need to be careful that the centre bolt is fully tightened, and it has been known to slacken after an hour of so’s use.

·         The ADM saddle is an improvement on the OEM one, but needed to be re-drilled because the original one was 45° out of alignment in the home position.  (Obviously the first one ADM had sold!)

·         Internal battery may be inadequate for extended use in sub-zero temperatures – take a backup 12V source with you  if necessary.