• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Evening everyone

Barry Gowans

Hello all,

I’m a new member and came across this site while looking for a decent observing location to try out my new scope and binoculars.    You all seemed like a friendly bunch so I signed up. 

If anyone is going to either dark site tomorrow, 3rd Jan, I’d be interested in tagging along. I’m fairly new to Astronomy as a hobby so any guidance would be very welcome.

Anyway - hope to meet you all over the coming months. 

Barry

Thanks ?

As I’m a beginner I went for the Skywatcher Explorer 130p Newtonian reflector (based on some advice from a friend). I quickly realised I’d have been better starting with a set of binoculars so I got a pair of Celestron 15x70s which seem good so far. To the untrained eye anyway. 

Desperate to try them out outside the town centre though ?

Your scope and bins will show you a lot from a dark site. ?

I have the Celestron 15x70s and they are great performers for the price. I can handle 15x70s fine without a tripod, but find them much steadier if I lean against a wall.

Some planetariun software like Stellarium or Skysafari would be a great free download if you don't already have it.

Hi Barry and welcome to EMS ?

I too have the 15x70's and they are smashing on a tripod (spot heavy on the arms for prolonged use unaided). I've had some nice views of Andromeda galaxy with mine on a clear night. Nothing wrong with a 130P either - doesn't go as deep as larger diameter scopes but has a fair sized repertoire and can take some nice pics if you ever get into astro photography.

Hope to meet you at an observing session soon ?

Hi Barry,

Welcome to EMS

I'm Rob, hope to meet you sometime at a future session.

Thanks both for the warm welcome.

I did end up buying a tripod for comfort and to reduce the arm wobble ? 

Also thanks for the Software recommendation. I’ve tried Stellarium which seems excellent but haven’t tried SkySafari yet - will check it out this week. 

Hope me to meet you both soon ?

You're welcome to have a look through my scope / binoculars Barry.

If i'm there pop over, and i can show you a few notables.

We observe at either Belper, or Wymeswold.

As well as observing, tea and cake is often consumed as well.

I believe new members get their first one or two visits free, to check everything out, then there is a yearly

fee or £20 to cover costs etc.

Take a look at the info and announcements section of the forum for more details.

Edit : just noticed you've already signed up ?

Edited by Bino-viewer

Hi Barry, a warm welcome to the forum.

As Rob mentioned, your first visit is free to see if it suits your needs and if you are happy £20 is the correct figure. You can join by using the Dark Site Membership button at the top.

Your 15X70's will really open up the skies for you and you should have no problem seeing our nearest neighbouring galaxies, Andromeda and M33. M33 being a bit fainter as it's face on, but not as good as Andromeda.

I look forward to meeting you at some point. Clear skies.

Welcome aboard Barry. I had the skywatcher 130 as my first scope. It's suprising what you can see with it from a dark sky. Kept me going for a year or so before aperture fever set in and I got a 10" dob. Hope to catch you at one of our dark sites.

Hi Barry and welcome to the forum.

Im not that far from you (Hucknall) so if you ever have any scope issues or if you need a hand setting anything up, if I can help, your more than welcome to pop over.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the forum.

@BAZ, @Bino-viewer and @tuckstar Thanks very much for the welcome and much needed advice.. happy to know my kit will be good enough for a serious (i hope) beginner.

@Daz Type-R Many thanks for the offer of help.  I've probably gone as far as I can with the manual and some basic guidance online so I may take you up on that offer! thanks again.

Hi Barry

I too started with a Skywatcher 130, I still have it but don't use it now as a 200 Dob has taken its place.

Hope to see you at a dark night.

• Like 1

Hi Barry, welcome to EMS, I hope you enjoy the forum and your new astro gear. Just ask away if you have any questions, we will all endeavour to help. ??

• Like 1