• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hercules 64mm mount.

Streetbob

As requested Rob.

It really is small. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dapca5se1ti5vcn/IMG_0255.JPG?dl=0

I have now added an extension tube.  This also helps alignment if I want to use the Az setting circle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g50yimkoswktr58/IMG_0256.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wytrv7688ns3jm7/IMG_0257.JPG?dl=0

The belt drive is very smooth and accurate.  It handles the scope and bits well, though I wouldn't want to use anything much bigger on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zfaqvkpmq5h9aw/IMG_0251.JPG?dl=0

There is only one baffling thing about this mount.  When the scope clamp is leveled horizontally the alt setting circle does not read 0 and it can't be adjusted.  I solved it by sticking on my own pointer and shading in the original with a coloured pencil!  Having said that I don't suppose I'll use it much but it was still frustrating.

I love how light it is and how simple too. 

As Pete pointed out, there is a larger one, in red, which maybe more adaptable for a variety of scope sizes but I'm happy with my 'mini' mount.

• Like 3

I'm thinking of getting one of these, but haven't yet decided on which version. The smaller one, 2.5inch version above, is rated to carry up to 10kg, which is really good for such a small mount. It only weighs 850 grams! The 4" version carries 20kg yet only weighs 1500 grams!

They both look very nice bits of kit. ?

Doug

When you post up the link to dropbox in the  " insert other media from url " do this.

At the end of the code you paste into the box you will see this  -----  JPG?dl=0

Change the last bit to raw=1

so it then reads ------- jpg?raw=1

This will automatically display your image on the site without the need for a link.

2 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

The smaller one, 2.5inch version above, is rated to carry up to 10kg,

I think 10kg is pushing it a bit for the 2.5" to be honest.  It is very robust and well made though.  I'm sure I can find time to meet so you can have a look.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

When you post up the link to dropbox in the  " insert other media from url " do this.

At the end of the code you paste into the box you will see this  -----  JPG?dl=0

Change the last bit to raw=1

so it then reads ------- jpg?raw=1

This will automatically display your image on the site without the need for a link.

Thanks for this Graham I shall do that.

3 hours ago, Streetbob said:
5 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

The smaller one, 2.5inch version above, is rated to carry up to 10kg,

I think 10kg is pushing it a bit for the 2.5" to be honest.  It is very robust and well made though.  I'm sure I can find time to meet so you can have a look.

Thanks Doug. ?

I might PM you and arrange to meet you, though I think I've already made my mind up to get the smaller one. I want it for a grab n go and to take on holiday so won't be loading it up too heavy. Just my 80mm triplet or possibly the ST120 F5. It would be much more convenient than lugging my AZEQ5 around. Since it will take a couple of weeks to come from China, it would be good to check it out first or have you found a UK supplier?

Would be interested to have a peek at your bike as much as the mount. ?

Edited by Tweedledee

Thankyou for sharing this info Doug.

It looks very well machined.

I'm half thinking about getting something really light weight to take abroad or for easy grab go or for birding etc

using a small scope.

Did you purchase it from 365 ?

They may have both models on display at Astrofest / PAS so i will check them over.

11 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Would be interested to have a peek at your bike as much as the mount.

By all means pm me.

11 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Since it will take a couple of weeks to come from China, it would be good to check it out first or have you found a UK supplier?

9 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Did you purchase it from 365 ?

I decided I wanted the complete package, security of purchase and it now so paid I was prepared to pay the price and got it from 365.

https://www.365astronomy.com/365astronomy-hercules-alt-azimuth-telescope-mount-with-manual-belt-drive-head-only.html

Though they seem to only be selling the small 64mm one.

It is very well machined and finished and is ideal for Grab & Go.  I bought it so I can set up quickly, move it around the garden easily.

I suppose the real test is would I buy it again? The answer is yes.

• Like 2

I was going to buy the smaller version from China on AliExpress.

I have already been satisfied with purchases on AliExpress, and using Paypal, any problems should be covered.

The whole thing including clamp and counterweight bar, separate purchases, would be about £200 including delivery, VAT, duty and fees etc. 365 Astro want £339!! On AliExpress the mount is very slightly different from the 365 version and may possibly be slightly inferior. At first glance everything looks identical, but it looks like the 365 one has a hand adjustable friction clutch on each axis, but the one in China looks like it only has a spanner adjustable or even non-adjustable friction mechanism.

Does the 365 version actually have adjustable friction clutches?

Edited by Tweedledee

15 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

I have already been satisfied with purchases on AliExpress, and using Paypal, any problems should be covered.

Perhaps I should be more trusting and less impatient.

15 hours ago, Tweedledee said:

Does the 365 version actually have adjustable friction clutches?

IMG_0259.JPG?dl=1

They are thumb screws, but are also held with a grub screw.  Though they seem tight enough for my scope.