• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Film Solar Filter.

Perkil8r

I decided to make a solar filter for the 200p. (Who isn't doing this at the minute? :D )

I looked at various articles saying to use card etc, and decided they were a bit flimsy for my liking. I had a couple of pieces of 16mm Ply lying around from when I made a bed for my van, so decided to make one out of these left over parts. Not being too handy with a jigsaw, and deciding I wanted the job to look nice, I sub contracted that part out to my old man, who subsiquently sub contracted it out to a friend who is a pattern maker ^_^

The idea is simple, 2 x rings, one slightly smaller than the ID of the tube, the other the same as the OD of the tube. Trap the Baader film in between the 2 rings. Then the unit fits like a bung in the end of the scope. A couple of screws will allow elastic bands or similar to be added to go over the spider nuts to make sure it doesn't fall off.

Rings were cut and sanded as per drawing, Baader film cut to size, strong wood glue applied to the smaller ring to hold the film onto the ring. Next more strong glue applied to the larger ring to hold it all in place. I then applied weight to them so that they bonded good and strong. At the time of posting, I am waiting for the re-chargable drill to charge so I can put a few screws to hold everything in place for added security, and put a couple in the side of the larger ring for securing to the scope.

I'll post a pic or 2 of the fnished item later, but for now here is the drawing incase anybody else wants it.

Guest Steve

Cool Mike. How about a protective cover top and bottom, held in place with a screw on one side only so it can be rotated out of the way. I saw a picture somewhere with this, either EMS or SGL.

Fingers crossed for some sun this weekend so all these filters can be tried out!

I think my next project will be using some of my left-over film to make a filter for my binoculars. I guess the secret will be to make a much bigger screen to avoid accidentally looking at the sun out of the corner of my eye as I bring the binos into position. Maybe even a separate screen around the eye-pieces and just a small filter assembly over the lenses. Amyone got any tried and tested plans for a binocular solution?

Edited by Steve

The filter cover is going to be v1.1 lol. Although I am looking for a suitable carboard box to keep it in for now.

Pics of the finished and fitted Baader Solar Film Fitting Solution V1.0 lol

Appologies for very poor pics, couldn't be faffed with getting the camera out so used the phone lol.

Very good, I like the fitting method, simple but affective (as long as it does not fall off), well done.

I tried it with 2 bands on and I believe I would've been able to pick the scope up with it if I'd tried, but obviously I didn't. With 4 on I would say it will be safe as houses. If I even feel the slightest doubt I will use cable ties instead, but I am very satisfied that it is very secure. I did have to double the bands up to make them tight enough though. Good old royal mail and the posties littering demeanor has finally paid dividends :lol:

Edited by Perkil8r

Thanks Pat, I can't take credit for the skill, only the putting together and telling him what I wanted lol. I'm happy though, it certainly turned out exactly as I pictured it in my minds eye, which is something that hardly ever happens :lol: I usually imagine something spectacular only to find it turns out badly lol