We politely request that members refrain from discussing politics and/or the Brexit debate on East Midlands Stargazers. Let's keep it to the topic at hand... Clouds. ☁️

• Join the East Midlands Stargazers astronomy community today!

Test

Sign in to follow this  
Ian

Morning, another newbie!

Ian

Morning Everybody.

As the title suggests, I'm  a newbie to this. I've recently purchased a Skywatcher 130p explorer, Synscan, on the advice from a local retailer, and I've  replaced the eyepieces that came with it.

I've already picked up a lot of tips by lurking on here for a while, but one thing has me confused, collimation! Should I be looking to do this for a new scope, or is it best to leave well alone as a newbie?! 

Thanks all.

Ian

Doc

I would leave alone for now. It should come ready collimated and as long as it's not suffered a bump in transit it should be OK. If the images the scope produces are sharp and clear then the collimation will be OK. 

Brantuk

Hi Ian and welcome to EMS ?

The 130 is a nice starter scope and a very capable little performer - I think we've all had one at one time or another. I never had to colimate mine at all and I used it for 8 or 9 months. Like Doc says - you have to have an unlucky ding for it to go out of collimation.

Streetbob

Welcome to the forum Ian.  You'll get good advice here.

tuckstar

Welcome aboard Ian. Nice little scope to start you off. I had one of these as my first scope. Get it to a dark site and you'll be suprised what you can see. They tend to hold collimation quite well, so unless you think there's an issue I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.

Ian

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks for the advice. I'll leave well alone for now! 

Ian 

Daz Type-R

Hello and welcome to the forum, if you come along to a meet at some point then somebody will be able to check it for you but for now, like mentioned above, leave it be.