• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Morning, another newbie!

Ian

Morning Everybody.

As the title suggests, I'm  a newbie to this. I've recently purchased a Skywatcher 130p explorer, Synscan, on the advice from a local retailer, and I've  replaced the eyepieces that came with it.

I've already picked up a lot of tips by lurking on here for a while, but one thing has me confused, collimation! Should I be looking to do this for a new scope, or is it best to leave well alone as a newbie?! 

Thanks all.

Ian

I would leave alone for now. It should come ready collimated and as long as it's not suffered a bump in transit it should be OK. If the images the scope produces are sharp and clear then the collimation will be OK. 

Hi Ian and welcome to EMS ?

The 130 is a nice starter scope and a very capable little performer - I think we've all had one at one time or another. I never had to colimate mine at all and I used it for 8 or 9 months. Like Doc says - you have to have an unlucky ding for it to go out of collimation.

Welcome aboard Ian. Nice little scope to start you off. I had one of these as my first scope. Get it to a dark site and you'll be suprised what you can see. They tend to hold collimation quite well, so unless you think there's an issue I wouldn't worry about it for the time being.

Hello and welcome to the forum, if you come along to a meet at some point then somebody will be able to check it for you but for now, like mentioned above, leave it be.