• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sawmills and Ambergate Astronomy Group - any interest?

BaldSpur

Hello everyone,

I’ve been meaning to get onto this site again for ages but I’ll health and other issues have held me back somewhat. But all is good now and I am back learning about the night sky!

Where I live, Sawmills Derbyshire, there is a small creation ground which would be great for people to look at the night sky. It is not perfect - there is a lot of light pollution but Orion, the Plugh, moon and planets can all be seen on a good , clear night - few and far between recently!

There is also the village hall which has a car park and can be hired for only £6 and hour where we could have discussions. I am very much an amateur and thought it might be good to find likeminded people to have a get together maybe once a month at first and then fortnightly if there is enough interest. I am wanting to to get a dark sky membership but as I don’t drive, it is difficult for me to get any meets or places. If there is anyone out there who might be able to give me a lift to any local meets it would be great - obviously petrol would be paid for -I’m originally from Yorkshire but not that tight!

iI hope to hear from people soon.

Happy stargazing.

Matt Jarvis

Sawmills

DerbyshireDE 56

Hello Matt welcome to EMS.

East Midlands Stargazers have a dark site very near you, in fact a stone throw away from you at Tannenbaum Campsite which is in Alderwasley.

Maybe we will see you up there one night.

That’s great. Do you advertise the meets on here? Do you think someone would be able to pick me up from say the Hurt Arms if I paid for petrol?

many thanks 

matt 

I don't see why not it's on the way for most people.

It's advertised in the darksite members group. How it works is the first visit is free, this is to see if you like it etc, and then if you do like it membership is £20 per year. We have two darksites one at Wymeswold and one at Alderwashey. We also try and meet once a month but that depends on many things, but any member can use the dark sites anytime they want usually. You normally just place a message in the dark site section of this forum telling people you are going to the dark site and normally you will get a few to go with you.

Hope this helps.