• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Orion Nebula

Derbyshire Dave

Last night, halfway through this process, my dew bands caught fire, but I tried not to let that put me off!

This is a combination of different length shots 60 second, 90 second and 180 seconds at ISO 100, and then all stacked in one pass in Deep Sky Stacker. Never tried that before, but seems to have helped not to burn out the centre.

Orion4-vsmall

Graham,

Thanks you are absolutely correct. I was concentrating so hard on processing the core and not blowing it out, that I missed the bleedin' obvious!

I'm going to have a good look tomorrow through the various image sets. As well as the different exposure lengths, I did a manual meridian flip which is only the second time I have tried that, using plate solving to 'come put of the other side' and get as close as I could. It will be interesting to see if I can track down and identify the issue.

Cheers, and thanks again..

Your dew bands caught fire.......??? ?

Crikey......what voltage were you putting through them ?

Hi Rob,

They were connected directly to my 12V car jumpstart supply, that's what I've always done with no issues for a couple of years. I'd left the cables out in a severe dew and then connected them up latterly, so I think some sort of shorting went on. The fuse in the cable was 5A, I'll cretainly be reduciing that!

Tracked down the issue to the images I had created after the meridian flip. I haven't got an ascom mount, so the flip was done manually, and then I used plate solving to get somewhere near. I then expected DSS to sort things out, but it clearly couldn't. Removed just those images from after the flip, and all stacked OK. The only other time I had tried that, it stacked perfectly.

Re-processed to give more prominence to the core, and also posted a wider view..

OrionPost