• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I have just joined and would like to introduce myself

Cathy Grimes

Dear All,

I am a new member and would like to introduce myself.

I moved to Derby nearly 33 years ago from down south. I have been a member of the MSAS for nearly 15 years and have always considered myself to be an armchair astronomer because I don't like the cold. Having said that I always take my imaged stabilised binoculars with me and was impressed to see the moons of Jupiter from the centre of Damascus, that was before all the trouble started.

I like to see solar eclipses, so far I have seen them in India, Madagascar, Libya (before the trouble started) and the USA.

As I am a retired of git with free time, I have recently decided to do some astrophotography and have recently purchased a nice CSC camera, Edge 800 telescope, Esprit 100, telescope and a CGEM II mount. The mount head was so heavy that I have been doing weight training to that I can easily carry the mount head to the telescope. I can carry it around but not easily. Since buying this equipment the sky has been mostly cloudy and it has been difficult to try it out

Take care,

Cathy X

• Like 2

Hi Cathy and welcome to EMS. ?

Nice range of kit you have there - typical of the weather to spoil the fun with your new toys.

Enjoy the forum! ?

Hi Cathy, a warm welcome to the forum.

Blimey, you don't mess about and have got straight into it, you certainly have a bit to be going on with. I am sure you'll get as much help as you need from the imaging community on here, I am just visual and not into all this cable knitting and cussing. ?

Make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Welcome to the forum Cathy, looks like you've got all the kit and like most of us you're just waiting for the clear nights!!

Cheers

Ron

Welcome to EMS Cathy. ?

You have some nice scopes. ?

Hope to see some of your astrophotography soon. I spent a lot of time with MSAS many years ago. Sherwood Observatory is a great place.

Hi Cathy and welcome.

Thats called cloud penance. It,s the price we pay when buying or building new gear we have at least 2 weeks of cloudy skies. If you buy anything from FLO they put a sticker on tge parcel saying Warning May Contain Clouds

Feel free to pick our brains on imaging and looking forward to seeing your images

Hi Cathy, welcome to EMS! ?

Of course, as a member of MSAS myself, I do already know you!

I am sure you will enjoy the forum, good hunting at the show and see you soon! ??

Hi Cathy,

Welcome from another Derby based astro geek.

You have some nice gear indeed. Theres a couple of folk on here who have SW Esprits.

Very nice scopes ; i was looking at them today at Astrofest.

I remember well how heavy the CGEM mount is.

I used to own a Mk 1 version. Hernia inducing at times.

I'm also dipping my toes into this astrophotography lark.

I have a CSC as well and a DSLR and they are both very capable at imaging.

I'm currently awaiting my 'retirement refractor' and am also putting together a travel system for when i go abroad.

Regarding local societies i was a member at DDAS for 10 years up until the end of 2016 when i left, fancying a change.

I've had a look at MSAS recently and was very impressed. Theres some great people there.

Its just a bit too far away from Derby for it to be viable for me.

Its great you have been chasing solar eclipses.

I've experianced one in Germany (totality was clouded out) and i was in the USA in Aug 2017....when we had a rainstorm during the eclipse ?

They were advertising an amazing looking eclipse trip today in London for this summers Chile event.

Literally a trip of a lifetime, with visits to the observatories there, Machu Piccu , and various waterfalls etc as well, and better still several vineyards ! ?

The sticking point was the £6500 pricetag ? (per person !)

Good luck with your imaging ; we some some amazing imagers on here with a wealth of knowledge

who i'm sure will gladly help you out when you need it.

Hope to bump into you if you're ever at a meet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:33, Stephen said:

Hi Cathy a warm welcome to the EMS

... but a dry warm, rather than a south-westerly warm with lots of moisture.

I'm still darn sarf but moved from the south east to the south west 30 years ago.

Although I no longer travel much, I've visited about 41 countries and (mostly) taken kit with me.

I operate at the more affordable end of astrophotography.