• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Barlows

Guest Hooch

Guest Hooch

Hello Guys,

Now I have seen some people using a 3x barlow, surely this is going to take pretty much any telescope over its maximum magnification? I am probably wrong and if I am I will look at getting one :D

Also, was looking for a 1.5x barlow? I know there is a 2x with a detachable bottom part which can be attached to an eyepiece and make it around 1.5x but I cant remember what it is :huh:

Any advice on barlows?

Antares do a great 1.6x Barlow (2") - great performer and some say closest to Powermate that you can get. Mine didn't come with a 1.25 adaptor cos I got it second hand - so you'd need a spare one hanging around. :)

(don't know about detachable bottoms though)

Guest Hooch

Hmmm bit on the expensive side for the moment, i'm a bit broke as i'm purchasing the 200p this week, managed to get it for £160 with a laser finder included. Bargain!

Is there a significant difference between cheap barlows and the more expensive ones? Also about the 3x, are they worth it or will they just take the magnification to far?

I think the TAL barlows are very good value for money, 2x 3x only I think?

I have the 3 x and there like a lump of steel, very heavy and solid build