• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQ5 Pro goto question

gfletcher

Hi guys

after a bit of advice.

When turning on the Synscan and going through the initialisation all the way through to completion of the star alignment. Forgot to mention that I made sure the telescope was in the home position before turning on.

when you select a target and (hopefully) the telescope slews to that target, when you want to go to your next target, do you have to put the telescope in the home position again before selecting your second target?

Graham

3 hours ago, gfletcher said:

Thanks Graham. Another question, do you personally do a 2 or 3 star alignment?

I am obs based and use EQMOD so I dont need to do any star alignment as it never changes.

The reason you start from the home position when you first set up each night is so the mount knows where it is roughly pointing before you do the star alignment.

Once you have done the star alignment the mount will know exactly where it is pointing at all times until you power it down.

Edited by Graham

Usually a 2 star and make one of them is near the target you are after. I use WiFi but it's the same with the handset..

Ron

Tried a 2 star alignment this evening. Once done I chose M42 as the first target. It skewed to it and it was just in the field of view. My 2nd target was Castor. It slewed to it but it was not in the fov. Why should this be?

Might do but it sounds like a double check of PA and check you're handset inputs first.  Most times my HEQ5 would be accurate for a session if i used just one nearby star for alignment, so I should double check everything Graham??

Ron

Have you checked your Polarscope is calibrated ?

Also a reticule eyepiece is useful for alignment.

I use Shapcap polar alignment  tool for PA.

i must admit that when doing the alignment procedure I do guess when the alignment stars are in the middle of the fov. The Eyepiece I am using is giving an X40 magnification