• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Getting quicker

Bottletopburly

Well I made the most of the last 3 nights as everyone else did too , setup has got quicker , guiding seems to have gone well , proof will be in the pudding once processing done , but the biggest thing to have helped had been dithering ,takes  about a minute between subs to dither and settle but no time wasted taking Darks , end of session I take flats and bias  so last night I took 30 x300sec exposures of M82 had I had to take darks then the amount of subs would be less so it’s win win with dithering ??.

• Like 1

You can take your darks anytime and build up a library.

You do not even need to have the camera on the scope.

Just put the dust cap on the camera and shoot away to your hearts content in a dark cool environment.

Build up a library of different length subs and just use those each time you do some imaging.

You will need to redo them occasionally as the chip in the camera will change over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

You can take your darks anytime and build up a library.

You do not even need to have the camera on the scope.

Just put the dust cap on the camera and shoot away to your hearts content in a dark cool environment.

Build up a library of different length subs and just use those each time you do some imaging.

You will need to redo them occasionally as the chip in the camera will change over time.

Good to know graham, i think i will stick with dithering for now seems to work well ?

Graham is bang on there, i always image at minus 10 degrees Celsius so take darks at 2 minute, 5 minutes and 10 minutes in length, no need to take hundreds, 15 - 20 subs is more than enough  

• Like 1