• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sibsey Trader windmill supermoonrise

Derbyshire Dave

We were staying in Lincolnshire, near Boston, last week visiting bird reserves. Weather was fantastic, but didn't take the astro gear, but did take the normal camera.

I knew of the supermoon rising, and wanted to try and get it rising behind something, and had originally thought of Boston Stump. I used the TPE app, the Photographers Ephemeris, to locate when and which angle that the moon would be rising, andi t became clear that the Stump wasn't going to pass muster.

So found the Sibsey Trader windmill, and decided to have a go at that. Did a reccie in the day, then went back later for the moonrise. Dragged my good lady along, and we waited for the rising. As it was happening I realised that I'd miscalculated, and couldn't use the gap in the trees that I wanted, so had to move a few hundred yards, which unfortunatlely added some trees to my composition.

The other side of the coin was the exposure. Whilst I could get the moon or the foreground properly exposed, I couldn't get both. So here's my effort

Copyright David Frost

• Like 3

Nice one Dave. Take one exposure for the background as you have correctly done then another exposure for the moon only, then in pbotoshop using masks add the correctly exposed moon to the background layer. A bit of tweaking on levels, curves etc to make the edges natural and that should do it.

• Thanks 1