• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Losmondy conversion.

RonC

What is needed to convert a NEQ6 mount and scope to using a stronger Losmondy setup from a Vixen set up?

What and how do you change the 'puck' and what else do I need?

It's a heavy scope (MN190) is it worth converting?

Thanks

Ron

I got a different sized puck with my Eq6 Ron to take the wider saddle simple Allen key to do it ,swapped it over then bought a revelation plate tbh it was a tad short could have done with being an inch longer but it works fine holds the 200pds rock solid 

Thanks Dave, I've seen a double sized puck on Ebay so I'll just need a plate I think...

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Clarke said:

Thanks Dave, I've seen a double sized puck on Ebay so I'll just need a plate I think...

Ron

here's a picture ron gives you an idea https://photos.app.goo.gl/rRidbnkB1wd4mGcY8 Rvo sell them too https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-dual-saddle-plate-for-eq6-mounts.html

Edited by Bottletopburly

That's what I've ordered David, thanks. I need to look at the 75mm plates now, 300mm long.

Cheers

Ron

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

That looks good and surprisingly cheap. Dual purpose Vixen and Losmandy fittings. ?

• Like 2

Got the head earlier and the Losmandy plate arrived today. That's my next job then!

Photo's of the old Vixen bar from the MN190 and the new Losmandy plate on the NEQ6.

large.IMG_4394.JPG.533a3130dfaf7de6f7b6554418c09f19.JPGlarge.IMG_4390.JPG.2701786b81d6ed0b55560217f5d4080f.JPG

The other half plus rotator ring and handle.

large.IMG_4397.JPG.45c9550562b4bf24ea16da1eed20ea65.JPG

large.IMG_4402.JPG.fd55550d355f3faf2655538a355749fc.JPG

Too windy to put it on the mount today!!!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clarke
added text

I put two threaded  studs on the underside of mine so they would catch the ring should I slip fastening scope to mount  rather a chipped ring than a broken scope , 

And finally the MN190 is atop the NEQ6 (it's bl**dy heavy, check the counter weights!)

large.IMG_4406.JPG.816c3b1f1f26ef6ec9c57df19d25a7f7.JPGlarge.IMG_4403.JPG.ccb067fdca217837eef43fcae056d78d.JPG

• Like 2