• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Swadlincote

Darren Ball

Hi all,

new to this staying up late malarky.  I've harboured a long standing-interest in astronomy, but never done anything about it until recently when my 5yo sons almost fanatical interest in space and planets has allowed me sneak a few purchases under the radar.
I thought that I'd cracked setting up an EQ Mount the other night, but trying to keep track of mars by having to juggle 2 dials proved otherwise.  Back to the drawing board, methinks!

Hi Darren welcome to EMS. I remember struggling with a manual eq mount. 

Welcome to the forum Darren, ask any question you want on here we've all been at the start point!! 

Cheers

Ron

Hi Darren. 

You need to sort your polar alignment out then you will only need to move the RA to track objects. 

Hi Darren, welcome aboard.

As Graham said, if you get your mount aligned with the north star you will only have to move in R/A ( right accession, left and right). And of course feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Hi Darren and welcome to EMS ?

Like the guys have said - google polar alignment and you'll only need to slowly turn one axis to track anything. The rotation of the Earth handles the other axis for you automatically. Makes it one hell of a lot easier. ?

Hi Darren, a warm welcome to the forum.

YouTube how to set up an EQ mount there are shed loads of videos on there, I reckon between them all you should be able to get an idea how yours should work best. Spend a bit of time getting the polar alignment as good as you can and objects will be much more enjoyable to view, as mentioned above you'll only then have to twiddle one adjustment to keep it in view.

7 hours ago, BAZ said:

Hi Darren, a warm welcome to the forum.

YouTube how to set up an EQ mount there are shed loads of videos on there, I reckon between them all you should be able to get an idea how yours should work best. Spend a bit of time getting the polar alignment as good as you can and objects will be much more enjoyable to view, as mentioned above you'll only then have to twiddle one adjustment to keep it in view.

Thanks Baz.  After a bit of re-familiarising, it appears that I made a rookie error.  Setting up in daylight for the first time, I foolishly assumed magnetic North and Celestial North were the same.  DOH!

No worries Darren, we have all been there mate, once you get the hang of it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. 

Hi Darren welcome to the forum.

Hope you have managed to get set up and sorted.

Clear skies,

Darren.